Anyone else find it hard to make friends?

Hi everyone..I am a 37 year old mom and I work full time. I have lost contact with my old college friends and find it hard to connect with other moms. I would like to find someone to go have a coffee with or shop with. I am not sure how to go from a smile and hi to lets go out for coffee without sounding like a pathetic weirdo..HELP!

cher1970

Asked by cher1970 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• I have the same problem.....
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Lol, I have trouble picking up other mom's myself. It's always so awkward. I tried joining a mommy group locally, but those women were total fruit loops always instigating trouble. I just gave up, sometimes I meet nice mom's at the park but always limit it to causal conversations while the kids play. I wouldn't mind some advice either.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I also find that issue! Its too bad really. Just smile and ask to hangout. Ive done it- either they dont call(which no one has) or maybe one day someone will take me up. Worst case scenario..I never see them again anyways! Usually I say something along the lines of, oh we should get our children together, or are you really busy? i was thinking we could get coffee, here is my number. blah blah.

Try- its worth a shot. If someone asked me, I'd be real happy
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 8:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• YOU JUST DESCRIBED ME. HELLO WANT TO GO TO COFFEE? WHERE DO YOU LIVE?...LOL.WITH MY LUCK NOT HERE!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• With young children in common I didn't have the trouble. I'd invite the child and Mom over for a play date. We'd talk over coffee while the children played and see if we got along, too. As the years have passed I've lost touch with the ladies once our children grew and moved away. These days I am immersed at work. What my sister does is join groups with common interests, volunteer work, church groups. She forms friendships with people she meets there since they have common interests.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Is there a MOPS group in your city? I belong to our local one. I just love it.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 8:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• There IS a mops group who meet a block from my house, the only trouble is that it is affiliated with a HUGE church and being an atheist I find that rather intimidating. I have no trouble with anyone's faith I just don't want to feel we're being judged.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Go to the MOMS section at the top of the page and do a search to find moms from CM in your area

Answer by admckenzie at 10:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I am 37 and work fulltime too. I have found since I have gotten older its hard to find friends of interest, than when I do they are mostly online and too far away to go hang out for dinner, or other fun things to do.

When my son was in a playgroup, I have met some friends, now he is not going, and in martial arts, I met some friends, but both times its always been hard to do get togethers.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Sounds silly but Craigslist.com under your town go to Strictly Platonic and select W4W (women for women) It is just other women in you area looking for FRIENDSHIPS too. Good luck. What are do you live in?
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 12:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2008