Man do I love my kids!

we are just sitting around watching tv and relaxing before we get on with our day. Sometimes just looking at my kids (3 1/2 and 14 months) makes me so happy. They are amazing! Happy Friday to you and your children:)

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 9:16 AM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am glad to hear that you do love your kids!!

I wonder...have you heard about the research that has clinically proven that TV HARMS a child's brain? Children under the age of two were studied with EKGs while they watched TV and the researches saw the various sections of their brains shutting down...all activity stopping.

Now, when the kids stopped watching, those sections came back to life, so it's not PERMANENT damage, BUT since it is vital that children STIMULATE their brains to make the pathways necessary to succeed in life, it is like stunting their growth...for every hour they are in front of the TV, their brains loose an hour of growth in those precious first 3 years.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 10:37 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Um... Thanks. Nope, I've never heard that tv can harm a child's brain. I guess all of the programming out there is created specifically for me and my children bc I'm the only one who let's my kids watch tv. Thanks for turning this post (which was ment to be light hearted and carefree) into a high-horse opportunity.

Btw, my son knows and recognizes all letters, numbers up to 25, colors, parts if the body, shapes, and can dress himself. I am also teaching him how to read. Dd is younger, but I plan on doing the same daily learning exercises with her. Thanks again for your shocking answer, I'm going to go read to my kids now.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 11:11 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Happy Friday to you too! I hope you have a wonderful day.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 11:16 AM on May. 13, 2011

• You are so welcome! Guess I misread your post...geez if I was doing something I THOUGHT was harmless but there was a cutting edge study that proved me to be hopelessly misguided, I would be THANKFUL, and CURIOUS to find out more, instead of dismissive and try to justify my behaviour...but hey, that's just me :) Have a GREAT day!
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 2:04 PM on May. 13, 2011

• EEGs measure brainwaves Captain Buzzkill, not EKGs.
    mysweetmelissa

Answer by mysweetmelissa at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Its wonderful spending time with our kids, isn't it...
    ToraMay

Answer by ToraMay at 3:30 PM on May. 13, 2011

• GEEZ, Livewell! Why not just say "glad you love your kids...too bad you're a TERRIBLE MOTHER!"
    My child knows sign language...want to know HOW he knows? Because he watched a TV show called "Signing Time"...ON TV! I think his brain was firing on all 8 cylinders during that particular time, despite it shutting down!
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 5:15 PM on May. 13, 2011