How can I make sure I don't dry up this time around....I am going to breastfeed.

Ok I plan on trying to breastfeed for the 3rd time. My first wouldn't latch on when I brought her home from the hospital so instead of working with her I gave up went out got formula and let myself dry up (I was on wic). The second time around I tried for 2 weeks and started to dry up, but I was in the er a couple times and had to give bottles because I didn't have anything pumped yet and sometimes she wouldn't latch on so I would give her a bottle and I was also drinking lots of caffine (so not sure if that had some to do with it). (I was also on wic with her). Well now dh makes to much to get on wic, but we can't afford formula. So I wanted to see how if anything I can be sure I don't try up this time around. I have to nurse this time around because I absalutly can't afford it. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed on demand. Do not substitute with formula if you do these should be fine. Join the breastfeeding group on here they are awesome!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:25 AM on May. 13, 2011

• When you are in teh hospital, ask for a lactation consultant every time you nurse unless you are 100% positive the latch is perfect (and a couple times, even then). You should have 2-3 days minimum of time you can get this free (well, your insurance pays) advice to get you started and get the latch right. It is so hard- I struggled with all 3 and nursed a total of 4 1/2 years with them

Then, never give formula.When you do, your body makes more milk, you give more, and soon you dry up. If you feel the need to supplement, get a pump (use ebay, buy a cheap pump, or ask here) and pump during each session. You won't get much extra, but a little, and your supply will stay higher due to more demand. Supplement with your milk.

Finally, caffeine isn't going to dry you up, but babies process it slowly, so try to cut down, especially if she's cranky or sleeps poorly. (it gets better around month 4-5).

Good luck! We're here to help.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:42 AM on May. 13, 2011

• There are no guarantees, I successfully breastfed my first 4 for a year each and then could only do 6 months with my 5th. With her I tried mother's milk tea, fenugreek, beer, etc. There are those things you can take if you realize you truly aren't producing enough.

Before my first I took a breastfeeding class offered by the hospital - HUGE help! They answered all those questions about breastfeeding that I see posted on here all the time. Also, the lactation consultant in the hospital should help - if she doesn't, ask again when her shift is up to get a different one. Once you get home if you are having problems, call the La Leche League.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yeah, what they said, you just have to keep breastfeeding on demand and DO NOT use formula, or you will stop producing enough milk....if you need to get your supply up, so that you can pump milk when you have to leave the baby with someone, try pumping after the baby eats, that way your body thinks it needs to make more milk...you might not get much at first, but eventually you'll see an increase. Also you could try the mother's milk tea, and/or they sell these lactation support capsules at the vitamin shoppe and other health stores, they might help, I personally prefer the capsules...cuz the tea kinda tastes like poo. lol But anyway, good luck! Hope everything works out this time around!
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 10:46 AM on May. 13, 2011

• feed on demand, no bottles, no bottles at all, no pacifiers till breastfeeding is established.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:58 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I started off with formula, and I wasnt making milk right away. I tried to bf for i believe 2 or 3 weeks, and it didnt work, I just couldnt get him to latch. Finally after a month he was latching (I kept trying no mater what) for a while i did both and finally I just went straight bf. I advise just keep trying and feed on demand.
    It might be tough at first but you cant give up, also if the baby isnt latching, the hospital can give you something that will be easier for the baby to latch on, its like a nipple extender.

Lastly, talk to a lactation nurse, or go to llli.org The La Leche League, if they have someone in your area, they will meet with you, even come to your house to assist. They are free.
    Cherrycatt

Answer by Cherrycatt at 12:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Also understand how much is "enough."

One dipe change per day of life for the first six weeks. 6-8 per day thereafter. Gain of 4-6 ounces per week. What you pump means nothing. How baby acts means nothing.... they are supposed to be demanding little bosses.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:38 PM on May. 13, 2011

• The basic gist of nursing is: If you nurse on demand, you will not dry up. (In MOST cases)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:49 PM on May. 13, 2011