Giving gifts to non-Christian

My DS goes to OT/ST and has made some new friends. Two of his friends (they're siblings) father is athiest, we always give gifts (small gifts) to friends during the holidays. Is giving these two children a Christmas present offensive to them (their father). I'm uncomfortable asking for fear of putting him on the spot! I don't want him to feel I'm pushing my beliefs on them, but my DS really likes his children!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• If the family don't believe in Christmas,your DS could still give a small gift and say something like Happy Winter(dorky,I know but my brain is starting to give),Robin
    ilovecoffee95

Answer by ilovecoffee95 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I'm an atheist and we celebrate the heck out of Christmas. But, for us it's a family tradition all about love and giving not anything religious.

Just ask him if his family celebrates it and explain that you would like to get a gift for his children if he does. It would be way less socially awkward to ask then to give the children gifts and leave him deciding what to do with them if they don't celebrate.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• how old is your DS? I would just have my son ask his friend if they exchange gifts over the holiday's. I know two different people who don't believe in God but still decorate and give gifts, so you never know.
    maryroses

Answer by maryroses at 9:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I have never known God having anything to do with this country's obsession with giving material gifts.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Slinkee...just ask him. I wouldn't be at all offended if someone asked a genuine question like that, and chances are he won't be either.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 10:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• A gift is a gift...if it is given out of love, I can't see what the big deal would be.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I would bet -- as long as you don't get something that "pushes religion" (like a bible based book/game/etc) -- the father isn't going to mind. The safest thing is definitely to ask him. We're agnostic and we still do a tree and gift exchange.. perhaps they do the same.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I agree with the PPs...we don't believe in a higher power, but we still exchange gifts and do all the regular "holiday" stuff.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I agree with everyone else. I'm atheist, but we celebrate Christmas. We buy gifts for as many people as we can afford (which isn't many this year). As an theist I would never be offended if someone buys my kids something, whether it be religious or not, because you would not buy them something if you didn't care about them. I am not afraid of my kids learning about religion, so even if it was a religious based book or game, I would still let them have it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I'm Buddhist & we do Christmas. They probably still do the whole "Christmas" thing (tree, decorations, dinner, gifts, etc.).

As long as it's not a religious gift.... should be fine.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2008