Clotth Diapers

What are the advantages?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 9:29 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Costs less, is easy, fewer rashes, less blow outs, better for the environment, no chemicals next to baby's bottom... I love cloth diapers!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:38 AM on May. 13, 2011

• thanks! What kinds of chemicals are in disposable diapers? Do they cause rashes?

I think I have pregnancy brain...just saw my clotth typo!
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 9:45 AM on May. 13, 2011

• There is a cloth diapering group on here that can give tons of advice on cloth diapers if you're interested. They can also help w brand recommendations and washing tips:)

The 2 chemicals I know of off hand are bleach (chlorine) and silica gel (like the tiny packets that come in new pairs of shoes... Gross!)

I use the FLIP diaper system- they have tons of cd demonstrations on you tube. Hope this helps.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:00 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My first was totally cloth. Next two, half and half. Last totally disposable. When I was young the cloth was not a problem. Besides I had no choice no way could we afford the disposable. I did sometimes use the liners though.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:41 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My friends are really into cloth diapers, but I use disposible. When I had my daughter, the plan was for me to work while my husband stayed home with the baby and finished his last year of school. My husband is really bad at doing laundry, so cloth diapering would have been a logistical nightmare. I really wish we had done cloth diapers. It tears me up to have to throw out all the dirty diapers knowing they're destined to slowly rot in some landfill. As I understand it, starting cloth diapers is the expensive part. There are two methods most commonly used, prefolds with covers and all-in-ones. The prefolds are the old style with the safety pins and the all-in-ones are the new style that do not require a cover but are still washable. Also, you must have your own washer and dryer. My diaper budget is roughly $30 a month, but I buy the cheap ones. But when my daughter was born, I was spending $80/month.
    photojoy

Answer by photojoy at 2:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• i love cloth! i spent $80 for the first year! join the cloth diapering group they are a great help!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:01 PM on May. 13, 2011