How can you teach acceptance when it's a sin?

I was having a conversation with my kids last night (17, 14 & 8) when my 8 yr son asked about gay people and why it is a sin. This took me by surprise because he has never herd this from me. ( Background: we believe in God - There are gay family members on both my and DH side)

When questioned, he said the kids on the bus where talking about it and they said being gay was a choice and their parents said it was a sin. I openly discuss these topics with my children so that they have understanding and compassion.

From a religious standpoint how do you teach your children about homosexuals?

PS:  Personally I do not feel being gay is a choice or a sin.

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 9:37 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'm religious and I don't believe homosexuality is a sin, so I'm going to raise my son to be compassionate and respectful of people, whatever religion, sexuality, race, etc they may be. I'm going to explain to him, if he starts saying people tell him homosexuality is a sin, all of the reasons, even using the Bible, I don't believe it is. I will tell him that since no one is perfect and we are all going to make mistakes in our paths in this life, and that it is much better to make mistakes out of loving TOO much than not enough....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:30 PM on May. 13, 2011

• first, explain to him that homosexuality is not a choice. it's something the individual is born with. just like straight people do not choose to be straight, they are born with it. tell him the only thing that is sinful is spreading hate, God does not want His children to have hate in their hearts. God is about love and peace, and God loves ALL his children, gay or straight, black or white, etc.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:39 AM on May. 13, 2011

• That God loves all of his children and that being gay is not a choice and not a sin-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:39 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't know why this is particularly difficult. If you believe it is a sin, then say so, but that it is only god's place to cast judgment, so you love them like your neighbor because "let he without sin cast the first stone."
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:39 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I would tell them that we are to love all people as does God, but that we are also to hate sin because the Bible says that God hates sin. The reason that he hates sin is because it separates us from Him and blocks our access to Him. Then I would show them in the Bible where God said these things. Our words often don't mean a lot to others, but the Bible also says that God's Word will not return void. In other words, it will do what He sent it to do. So first, I would tell them what it says, and secondly, I would show it to them in black and white and I would leave the results in His hands, which is what we must do with everything in the final analysis.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:45 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't think it is a SIN! You only sin when you chose to do something wrong and if you are born gay,you have not chisen to be gay. How can a person decide what is a sin? Use your heads people.
    Chosing to commit a crime is a sin. Chosing to kill is a sin.
    Being born gay is NOT a choice so it can't be a sin.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:06 AM on May. 13, 2011

• You know this topic was never discuss with my children until my daughter was a teen and came out to us, but I taught them to be compassionate in any kind of situation and to always look for a good side even in the worst of scenarios. I had never considered homosexuality to be sinful, I do not see anything sinful in loving someone and wanting to share their life with someone.

Answer by older at 11:32 AM on May. 13, 2011

• . Regardless of whether it is a choice or not, the homosexual who has been saved by faith, must turn from his/her life of homosexuality - which may mean choosing to be straight (if it was a choice for them) or living a chaste life (if it is inborn).

I would still love my child if they said they were gay, but I would always remind them of the truths of Scripture. The eternal state of their soul is far more important than "accepting" their sin.
    Answer by -Eilish- an hour ago

---------------------------------
    I so disagree with what you just posted. It is SO wrong and SO unfair and SO prejudiced.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Hate the Sin and LOVE the Sinner
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 9:50 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I may be slow...but with some of these posts. You would not be teaching acceptance you would teach that your child that it is a sin and that God would judge?
    I'm not teaching them to preach to those that sin, I am teaching them to accept those that sin, since we all do.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:59 AM on May. 13, 2011