Fiddlehead question...

My daughter came in with a bunch of fiddleheads, very proud of herself...but I worry that they are from the "wrong" kind of fern...I have looked on Google and wikipedia but can't find any DANGER!! WARNING!! DON"T EAT THESE messages about any kind of fiddlehead...does anyone know if there are poisonous ferns in NS Canada?

If you don't know, could you please bump?

livewell

Asked by livewell at 9:45 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I found this, idk if it will help though.

Two other common N. American ferns (interrupted fern and cinnamon fern) have a bitter taste and may cause mild poisoning in some people. You can differentiate by the following features:

The ostrich fern (edible species) has:
    1) distinctive "U" shaped cross-section of stalk (a deep groove), similar to celery
    2) not covered in "wooly" fuzz, though it may have a few bits of thin brownish papery debris to brush off, kind of a like the texture of a fallen leaf.
    3) stalk curves outward to form distinctive "fiddlehead" shape, it's doesn't go straight from the ground to the curled portion

With wild edibles, generally, if it tastes really bitter, you shouldn't eat it, it's usually a sign that it will make you sick.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:22 AM on May. 13, 2011

• http://umaine.edu/publications/4198e/

idk if this will help or not but this is what i found

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:58 AM on May. 13, 2011

• thanks :) I had already found that one, and after looking at the video, I know that the kind she picked are not the Ostrich fern, but there are about 7 varieties listed in wikipedia that are edible...I'd love to find a video that shows all the edible kinds! :)
    livewell

Comment by livewell (original poster) at 10:14 AM on May. 13, 2011

• http://www.wild-harvest.com/pages/fiddlehead.htm

This site has pictures- I live in VT and most of the ones around here are just fine to eat :) yum
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 10:47 AM on May. 13, 2011

• thanks Melissasue38, but I couldn't find the pictures on that page....

@ josiesmommy - the ones she picked have a U shape, but it is not as distinct as the Ostrich...
    livewell

Comment by livewell (original poster) at 12:45 PM on May. 13, 2011