Do you think Reality TV is going overboard?

I remember when people use to have to work in order to be called a Star! Now all it takes is flaunting your stuff around behind a camera that follows your dysfunctional family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Entertainment

• i agree with kitchenwitch78 ....i enjoy the ones on the history/discovery channels but HATE the drama filled ones on mtv/vh1.......my son enjoys learning things from some of these shows that we didnt know anything about .....like swamp people.....how many new that job was out there?......the ones that follow people with really JOBS are great.......the stupid drunken , mommy w/lots of kids ones are annoying.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:00 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm just happy they've stopped the "temptation island" sort, where people are supposed to cheat on their boyfriends/girlfriends/husbands/wives, or at least you don't see as much like that...

I really don't care how many reality shows they do about jobs or whatever. Some are clever (where the CEO works as a beginner), some are boring, but they don't HURT anything.

As for the "watch the Kardashians" type stuff, I haven't seen it, so I can't tell you, but surely those will fade in popularity over time as well
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:56 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes they have gone overboard. There are far to many reality shows & talent shows for that matter. At one time, there were tons of westerns, then tons of sitcoms, then tons of....whatever. It's the same old story. One group tries a new show, it's a hit, so everyone else has to jump on the bandwagon with a similar show, next thing you know, nearly every channel carries some version of it. The thing is, if people didn't watch them, the studios wouldn't make money and a whole lot of them would go away in favor of something that does make money and hopefully would be far more worth the time to watch.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:57 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, I do believe they are.........there are even people out there using "but I wanted to make up a reality show" to get away with crimes....how sad........no....pathetic....
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:54 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, yes I do. Although, I'm happy that comedy series seem to be gaining in popularity again.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:54 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I watch a lot of reality TV. I'm more Man vs Food, Swamp Brothers, Swamp People, Deadliest Catch, Axe Men....that type, I see enough drama around me so I'm not real big on the spoiled drama kings and queens type of reality shows. I love my "fictional" series and would be crushed if they were replaced with yet more reality.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:54 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Amen... Reality and Cop shows!
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:10 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I think they are, once it goes from reality to drama tv it's time to go, coaching and feeding someone lines just turns into a soap opera. call it what it is, trash TV
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:12 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes they have. The only ones I watch are Kitchen Nightmares and biggest loser. They are taking some of the good stuff off tv and replacing them with reality shows. Very sad IMO.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:03 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I never watch them :)
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 10:11 AM on May. 13, 2011