STOLEN!

We live in an apartment complex with a lot of kids. Every ay they are out with bikes and scooters and whatever and for the most part, if there is a scooter unattended someone else will pick it up and ride it until the owner wants it back.
My 5yo has been having issues with a certain older boy, about 9 I would guess, who is always trying to take his stuff. I always hve to get it back from him. This boy is a LIAR. Last year he bt my son (imagine an 8yo biting someone!) and told me his teeth fell on my son's shoulder. So he is one of my suspects. BUT it could just as easily be anyone else, or one of the teenagers who don't live here, but hang out here everyday.
Usually when it's time for my son to come in I go out and make sure he's got whatever it is he brought out. I also check on him about every 1/2 hour or so to make sure he's being good and sort of do an inventory, see who's got what. Yesterday though the bbay was being super clingy and my husband called the 5yo in while I was givng myself a timeout in the bathroom. I didn't realize it was missing until about 20min ago. I went outside and looked EVERYWHERE but it is gone. When the kids get home from school you can bet I will be watching like a hawk to see if anyone brings it out, but if not, then what? The cops aren't going to launch a search for my kid's scooter. Should I go all momma bear and start knocking on a couple of doors? I'm already literally shaking with rage, my adrenaline right now is unbelievable.
My mom got that scooter for him this last x-mas and I can't afford a new one right now :( It was a really nice model, different from everyone else's.

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:02 AM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would politey knock on doors and as nicely if they have found your sons scooter.....a more flies with honey, then vinegar thing......be super nice like your looking for it because it was left out by mistake than hey your kid took my kids stuff......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:06 AM on May. 13, 2011

• no reason to get angry with your neighbors.

Yes, i would kock on each & every door & say "my son is missing his scooter, it was just out here yesterday & it looks like this______. Please, if you see it, would you please call me? It was a special gift from his grandparent."

If yo let all the neighbors know, then they might see it one day when you dont & can call you saying that so & so has your scooter. I definitely think you should make the neighborhood aware of this....but do it kindly. I know you're upset, but people will not be as helpful if you knock on their door in a bad mood.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:21 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, anon, we have been working on this. He's already lost some small things, matchbox cars etc and I tell him too bad, so sad, take care of your stuff.
    I am just so pissed because if we find something left out, we either take it back to the owner or leave it. And just because something is left out doesn't mean it's ok to take it. But you are right and we are probably out of luck.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 10:13 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I know this is enraging! I feel your pain. We live in a not so nice neighborhood, but we live in houses and own. This does not help the same issue you have. Last summer they stole my 4 yr olds bike right off our front lawn. Who steals from a little boy. He was crushed. The rest of us were livid! I am sorry this has happened, but we learned our lesson. Will got a new Tony Hawk bike for Christmas, we paid $160 bucks for it...now way am I letting it out of my sight...and neither is he. If his rear isn't on it, then it is inside the house or garage! Keep an eye out for it, but from now on...don't have that share policy with the apartment rats...obviously they cannot be trusted. Sorry for your son.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:16 AM on May. 13, 2011

• i don't think that because you left something out it's public property....no way...it's disrespectful to take something that is not yours PERIOD....and i betcha all the kids know that scooter belongs to your son anyway.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:23 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm a mama bear, I'd be knocking on doors
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:26 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't leave a 5 year out alone to begin with. It takes 2 seconds to snatch a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 13, 2011

• While I agree with anon about not letting him out by himself at the age of 5...this was not the issue. It is her child, she was asking for advice on the stolen scooter.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Another part of this that annoys me is that how can whoevers parents not notice that their kid has a scooter that they know isnt theres? I would definatly be knocking on doors.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:39 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm sorry but you left it out. things left in public places (yards, stairways ect) are considered public property. It sucks and I'm not trying to be mean but use this as a lesson to your son on why he needs to bring in his things or leave them home when not in use and keey your eye out for it around the area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on May. 13, 2011