1 dog 2 cats

What's the best way to keep the dog out of the cat's food? Indoor pets. I hate putting the cat's food on the counter but it's the only thing I can think of to keep the dog out of their food. I was just wondering if any of ya'll had any tricks.

I also have litter box issues. Just tired of the box. I feel like my house smells like a litter box. Can't get rid of the cats. What do you do for smelly litter boxes?

Mamaswanny

Asked by Mamaswanny at 9:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pets

• when i was younger, i had an outside cat, so no litter box here, but you cant trust cats too much to come back home all the time and thieves that steal animals. I think no matter where or how far away your litter box is, you cat will always find it if it really needs its litter box. as for the food issue, i dont know, maybe put it in your bedroom or something?
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• The feeding issue, the only real option I can think of is instead of free-feeding the cats would to feed them twice a day and put the dog up while they eat. I'm not a big fan of scheduled feedings myself and it would take a bit for your cats to adjust to it too. Aside from any insane approaches the counter is probably your best best.

The litter box, you may want to try a different kind of litter. I don't know what brand food you feed them but switching to a high-quality food with low corn content (Nutro) can help with the odor of it and they will go less often because more food is being digested. Scoop often, or if you have the spare money a litter-maid is totally worth the investment!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• don't know either that's where our cat dish is to. sorry no help.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I feed the cat on top of the dryer, the dog can't get up there. It is a separate laundry room, sort of a corner off the back porch, but indoors, so the litter box is out there too.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• my cat eats upstairs and my dogs eat in a gated area down stairs. as for the litter all you can do is keep it clean and put alittle bit of litter after and every month change it oh and open the windows to air out the house thats what i do. and i also use that air freashner that sprays every 30 minutes or so.
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 5:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• YOU NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO LOL ! MY TWO DOGS ARE ALWAYS IN THE CATS FOOD I DON'T THINK OF IT AS A PROBLEM MY MOMS OLD DOG WOULD ONLY EAT CAT FOOD IT LIVED TO BE 16 YEARS OLD I THINK THEY ARE ALL MADE THE SAME WAY ? YOU COULD ALWAYS TRAIN YOUR CAT TO EAT IT ONLY OUT IN THE GARAGE OR IN A SPACE THE DOGS DON'T GO ! GOOD LUCK BUT I THINK IT'S A LOST CAUSE !!!
    Anonymous

• Instead of leaving the food out all the time just give her food at certain times and have the dogs outside while she's eating, or in another room.

As for the litter box smelling. I clean mine out several times a day. I can't stand a smelly litter box and I do not want to have the house that people can tell I have cats just by walking inside. Our little box is in the pantry, not Ideal but I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment and there's not a lot of choices. I also put a box of Baking Soda by it to help absorb any instant smells. Don't get cheap litter. It's cheap for a reason. The more expensive stuff comes with deodorizer so it helps mask the smell.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• We just got a cat last week, and we have dogs also. We feed the cat in the bathroom, and we have trained the dogs that they are not allowed in the bathroom. Like I said, we just got the cat last week and the dogs have already learned that they are not allowed in their. When our dogs try to go in the bathroom, they get a swat on the butt with rolled newspapers. After a couple days, they don't even try to go in the bathroom any more.

For smelly litters, clean them often. We have only one cat, but we scoop the litter twice a day. Baking soda in the litter will also help a little bit.
    If you have male cats (and if they are not fixed) then their urine will have a really bad smell to it, this just comes with having male cats. Once a male cat starts to mature a little bit, their urine starts to smell really bad.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 1:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008