New Yorkers under 30 fleeing the state

It seems that those under 30 in NY are fleeing because of economic issues. They are citing high taxes, cost of living and few jobs. Guess this shows that when you keep raising taxes in a state, people will vote with their feet.

It's a vicious circle...you raise taxes and people leave, so you then have to raise taxes higher to make up for that loss, so more people leave. Eventually you will be left with the people with their hand out, but no one to pay the high taxes to fill those hands.

The New York City suburbs, with their high property values and taxes, are leading the exodus, the poll found.

Of those preparing to leave, 62% cite economic reasons like cost of living, taxes - and a lack of jobs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/05/13/2011-05-13_new_yorkers_under_30_plan_to_flee_city_says_new_poll_cite_high_taxes_few_jobs_as.html

Thoughts?

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 10:03 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have this kind of horrific image of the only people left in NY 20 years from now being the rich Long Island kids who mooch off their parents for life and spend their time trying to get on as many reality shows as possible (Real World, You're Cut Off, etc)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:06 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Very true. My brother pays 18,000 on taxes on his house in Long Island. I feel so bad for him...It is outrageous ...
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't blame the younger crowd for leaving. Unless mom and dad have a spacious basement for them to live in till their 40, there is no way to start out in NYC. Everything is overpriced and property taxes are ridiculous. You have to wonder where all the money is going from the expensive taxes!!!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2011

• We have just moved to NY because of the Navy. So far we love love love the area that we are in. We could never see buying a house here though because the taxes are outrageous. I can understand why people would leave.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2011

• It likely won't be permanent. Politicians will figure out fast they'll have to lower taxes to get votes. The economy is cyclical, so eventually employment will pick back up, bringing the young back in. New York is and always will be a major business hub.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:08 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes it is true. I live in the suburbs in NY. Our property taxes started out at $5,300 a year & now are almost $11,000. Home prices are still very high and I cannot imagine how a newly married couple can come up with the downpayment for a home let alone a $3,500 mortgage every month! The cost of living is high as well. So there is a mass exodus of young couples & big Companies. What is left is either the affluent or the elderly whose social security is going to pay their taxes & medications. The nomal Joe witha job has been forced to take excruciating paycuts or firing but the Town & County employees are still riding high & have barely been effected by the economy. So we are forced to pay their salaries & suffer ourselves. What about School Superintendents making well over $100,000 per year here???? WHY??? I could go on forever but we need someone here to TRIM THE FAT once & for all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 13, 2011

• i live in Ca and you see almost the same thing on this side of the country as well.....people fleeing to lower cost states because of no jobs and high taxes
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:14 AM on May. 13, 2011

• well...it seems that folks under 30 are fleeing Atlanta to move to New York. I've had 6 friends move to Brooklyn from Atlanta in the past two years. One picked up & left & the other 5 shortly followed. All of them say they'll never live in Atlanta again.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:14 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Wow, my nieces are doing just that, trying to live in their spacious basement because it is just too expensive to live on their own.One of my other brothers moved to Texas and now he has a real mansion and land with the money he was spending on his small Mcmansion in Long Island.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 10:15 AM on May. 13, 2011

• All the money goes to welfare services. NYC have the larger number of people living on Welfare most are children of illegal immigrants. But nobody wants to acknowledge the illegal immigration problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 13, 2011