What the heck could this be?

My poor dog has a golfsize growth on her front leg it has been there for awhile it does not seem to bother her but today I noticed it grew clusters on it like little baby growth (dime size) it did turn dark at first now looking at it it looks gross it fleshy looking and bloody looking I noticed this today (she could be messing with it), but the vets are closed and I don't have the funds to take her anywhere to get her checked out.
I am concerned for her.
Any advice, Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pets

• I know it's hard to be strapped for cash but she REALLY does need to be seen. It could be cancerous. It could also be a harmless fatty tissue growth especially if she is an older dog they're very common. Normally they can drain some of the fluid off but don't usually operate on fatty tumors unless they become very large or inflamed. If she's messing with it or is discolored or bloody looking she should probably have it removed. I'm sorry but either way there's really nothing that you can do for her yourself. I hope it works out for you.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Does it look like veins running through it?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• there is a site online that is suppose to answer vet questions but they say they are free but will respond faster with $9 donation. i would do that since the vet is closed at least for now. google free vet advice see what comes up, if they don't answer you with a satisfying answer you can get your money back. they should know. it could be an abscess
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I would find the dog another home you said it was on the dog for a while ....well you could of called a vet and took the dog in poor thing god I hope your kids never get sick they are up shi! crick with no paddle ..people kill me with pets just because they can not talk to say hey I have PAIN they get put on a back burner........

Anonymous

• People should not get pets in they can't afford to take care of them. That is just common sense. Poor dog. Take it to a shelter at least if you can't find it in your heart to get it some help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Nothing anybody tells you is going to help this dog and the growth, so find the money to take it into the vet, nobody is going to adopt it at a shelter so euthanasia or take care of your dog like youre supposed to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• You know I am sure if you call around vets will work with you on paying. Poor thing could have a tumor.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• It could be a cyst, could be a tumor. It will only take a little amount of money to find out. Then you'll know how much it will cost.
    If you own a dog, he has to be in the budget, including up to 1k in health per year saved aside (great if you don't use it, but you need it there just in case you get in this situation). I have 2 big dogs, I budget 2k, between food, vet healthy visits, nail trims, and the occasional injuries/illness.

Some vets can make payment arrangements. Call around, even to other townships or counties, you may save a few hundred driving a distance.
    If you can't afford the dog, please go to Petfinder.com and look up rescue agencies in the area, they may take the dog off your hands which is safer than turning into a kill shelter (or look for a no-kill shelter).
    Nakashama

Answer by Nakashama at 7:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• If you are in a town that has a ASPCA, you Can call them for help. I would take VET WRAP for the mean time and wrap the wound securely so that he/she can't get to it , till you get help. Need to wash the area with  betadine solution first and then wrap. Your drug store will have these things. This is a temporary fix till you can get help. At least this will cover the area and may keep her from fussing with it. You need to help this dog and find someone to help you.

Hope you get some help soon.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 8:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• my god-mom dog had that and it was cancers not saying it is tho but i would call around and see some of them has payment plans i dont know what state your in but im in Colorado and they have a some out here just call around and i know money can be tight so dont listen to some of these people i got my dogs when i had alot of money and cause of sugurys i been through i been haveing a hard time paying bills now and i have to get there sec shots and it helps with payment plans
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2008