Spin off of the breastfeeding doll question. For those that see it as inappropriate, why do you feel that way?

I saw a few comments saying that they feel its inappropriate for a child to breastfeed a doll.

Why do you feel its inappropriate? Do you also feel its inappropriate for a child to mimic bottle feeding?

(btw, I think the doll is ridiculous, and the flower tunic thing is weird. My daughter has mimicked breastfeeding with her dolls and stuffed animals before, I just think its ridiculous to charge an arm and a leg for a doll with a tunic... and again, the tunic thing is just odd)

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 10:23 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• because that takes it to a level where it's no longer playing. more of a training. kids should be kids and it's just too adult
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:26 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I totally agree. Yes, the doll is LAME. But, there is nothing wrong with a girl pretending to breastfeed. I use to breastfeed all my stuffed animals too...lol...

How is it inappropriate when the breasts are FOR FEEDING BABIES! THAT'S WHY THEY ARE THERE!

People associate breasts with sex....which is SAD!

NOTHING inappropriate about breastfeeding at all.....it's awesome in every way!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:26 AM on May. 13, 2011

• "because that takes it to a level where it's no longer playing. more of a training. kids should be kids and it's just too adult"

And yet pretending to bottlefeed is OK? Explain why please?

How is pretending to bottle feed not "training"...?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:28 AM on May. 13, 2011

• momofone, do you feel that a girl bottle feeding a doll is like training as well?
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 10:28 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My DD does this all of the time! She has only seen my sister breastfeeding and we all get a kick out of it! She just puts the baby up to her belly and pats it's back :) Can't wait until I have my 2nd DD in Aug, I'm sure she'll be breastfeeding all of her dolls a lot!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:29 AM on May. 13, 2011

• momofone - you're right, breastfeeding is really "adult "and the mature thing to do. My 23 month old is already making good decisions for her "babies".
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:31 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't have a problem with my daughter pretending that she is breast feeding, what I find inappropriate is that bra/flower tunic that comes with it. She is 5 and has always pretended to breast feed, and yes bottle feed.... But for her to wear something at that age that portrays "nipples" just doesn't seem right to me. I'm one of the most open minded people in my social circle and for some reason I just find it vulgar...... I breast fed two of my children, and when in public I made sure I was "covered" so although people knew what was going on under the blanket it didn't make others feel uncomfortable and I didn't have my boobs bared to all...so maybe that is the problem I have with it... You can breastfeed and still be modest about it. (does that make sense, I'm trying to verbalize as well as I know how without coming off as an uptight wench lol)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:33 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Because Jesus was not fed with a nasty pair of breasts. I very distinctly remember Luke 2:8 - Yea and did Mary prepare for the son of God a nice room temperature bottle of Similac with Omega-3 and Omega-6.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:39 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Well, as I stated over there, it's not the doll, or the breastfeeding. It's more of my child lifting her shirt and pretending to breastfeed... there are perverted jerks everywhere. I simply teach my children not to expose any part of their body like that. Not in public. If she wanted the doll in private, in my home, maybe. I certainly would not let her take it outside the home with her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:57 AM on May. 13, 2011

• m-avi, thank you for your explanation. I totally get what your saying and respect that. I wouldn't let my daughter lift her shirt in public either.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 11:01 AM on May. 13, 2011