Any suggestions on how to just enjoy the time and NOT worry?

Every other weekend my two kids go to visit thier dad and my stepkids go on supervised visits with thier mom. So its just me, dh, and our twin boys at home. Usually dh plans for us to do something i.e. dinner or whatever. The two times a month that thier gone dh always says just try to look at it as a break. I always think i can do that until they actually go. The whole time i feel like im worrying on the inside i mean for god's sake my stepkids are on a SUPERVISED visit and it seems like every other time they go (the visits have to be at thier grandmother's house) the kids get some mystery illness that magically disappears the minute they are in the car on the way home. And my two i just worry because thier dad is kind of a moron he's a nice guy but im soooo grateful he got married because if it wasn't for his wife he wouldn't know what to do with kids. When we were together he was of no help to me taking care of the kids. So i am trying to enjoy the time but i just end up with racing thoughts of what kind of phone call am i going to get and what mystery illness my poor stepkids will have this time? Any suggestions are appreciated because of course my dh has NO problem using the time as a "break"

Genice6

Asked by Genice6 at 10:28 AM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know how you must worry, but maybe if you can put a focus on something positive for the kids returning home will help? Like a big welcome home picnic dinner? Pizza and movie? Have you and your DH and twins make we missed you cards......or funny pics....I don't know, I just know if I am worried and focus on the good outcome.......time passes through the worry part. Good luck mama!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:32 AM on May. 13, 2011

• If you every figure it out let me know, I drive my ex nuts by calling every night to wish the girls a good night and see how they are doing.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:30 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Just know that they are going to be safe, because they have in the past and that you'll see them soon. Look at it like they're giving you time to take care of yourself and pamper yourself!! :)
    suzanne6981

Answer by suzanne6981 at 10:32 AM on May. 13, 2011

• You're a mom and its natural to worry, I do it too and it's been six years :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:30 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I have the same problem, my 2 daughters visit their grandparents alot out of town, and I worry the minute they leave. Just remember than if something did happen to any of the kids you would get a call or something, so you don't have to worry when you haven't heard from them. Also, there are risks of something going wrong every day with kids, no matter where you are. Just driving them in a car can result in an accident, so you can't be scared when they leave the house. If you worry everyday you'll never enjoy the fun of it!
    siera_lyn

Answer by siera_lyn at 10:37 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Sounds like the Stepkids are getting sick because they might not want to go there either - I used to get sick from anxiety before I had to go to my dads as a kid. You sound like a wonderful caring loving Mother and I think worry comes second nature for us :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:39 AM on May. 13, 2011