Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Custody, sole phys and legal

If a father voltureely, has not seen his children sense may 09, has not paid child supoort sense Apr 10, has not had weekday visit sense March 09 and weekend visit sense Jan 09.
I've heard that he's left the state.
The AG office says they can't find him.
What are my chances of getting sole custody?
Will I have to pay someone to try to find him or something?
What if id want my SO, when married to adopt them?
I have not moved and have not even changed my cell phone number.
My ex has no excuse for not contacting his kids - he hasn't even called them.
I'm trying to decied if its worth paying an attorny, to have this done, if you think its possable.
Also, what happens to the visitation? The kids have asked that they get an adjustment period. They don't want to go over nights with him.. at least until they get to know him again.
What are my choice, if he showed up like next weekend - can I refuse him visitation?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I think you can go for a termination of rights in this case, no contact, no support.. sounds like dead beat dad ran for the hills.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 13, 2011

  • in this case get a lawyer the specialize in family law and do all the above mentioned things....

    Answer by cara124 at 10:41 AM on May. 13, 2011

  • It depends on your state laws. You have to talk to an attorney. These women don't know your state or situation, they can not give you sound advice.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:27 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • Depends on your state here you have to show that you tried to find him. Normally they make you put notice in a few newspapers that you plan on terminating his rights. Than after a waiting period if he does not show back up they go ahead and let your husband adopt the kids. As for visitations if he showed back up he could take you to court saying that you are keeping the kids from him and it would be on the judge to decide if an adjustment period is needed or not.


    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:42 AM on May. 13, 2011

  • Your saying, is have to pay to find him? WTH... ??

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:17 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • I live in Texas

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:06 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • Ok, my sister got divorced in Texas. Her husband didn't show up for court and didn't want to have anything to do with their son. The judge granted him joint custody. Does that tell you anything? Contact an attorney.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 3:46 PM on May. 13, 2011