My daughters BFF's parents are divorcing how...?

How do I explain why she can not go to her friends house to play for a while. The girls are 9 years old. After talking with the mom I am uncomfortable having my daughter be there. They are constantly fighting and apparently the dad get really mean and nasty with his words.

Yes my daughter has several friends with divorced parents, she has just never been exposed to the process.

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 10:33 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Let me strongly recommend not having the talk with the other mom, unless you want to risk being a part of the "divorce war." Just make every effort to have the other child at your house. A nice touch might be to have a gentle chat with your own SO to suggest that you be extra careful to not air conflicts in front of this little girl.
    jazzymom190

Answer by jazzymom190 at 5:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Just talk to the mom and explain that you know how messy divorce can get. Ask if she would be ok with her daughters coming to your house for the play dates until things settle down a bit. Than all you really have to tell your kids is that no they are not going over there because their friends are coming to your house.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:38 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Easy, you just tell her. She's old enough to understand. Have her friend over as much as possible as well, your daughters friend must be having an awful time
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:03 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I agree you should talk to the mom and have your daughters friend go to your house until things get worked out. She should be able to understand...let her know that her friends parents are going through some things and are not getting along right now.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 5:41 PM on May. 13, 2011

• tell your daughter the truth and have the kids to your home to play.
    Anonymous

• I agree do NOT say anything to the other mom.
    Anonymous

• talk to your daughter not the other mom about what is going on and that you don't feel comfortable with her going to this other girls house until things settle down a little; tell her she can still have the girl come to your house but you would prefer her not going there
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:19 AM on May. 16, 2011