What do you do on Christmas and New Years to thank Christ for coming for us and to bring the new year in?IF you don't believe in Christ you can say what you do also

hinson7169

Asked by hinson7169 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• On Christmas I tell my children the importance of the birth of Christ and how it affects them today. That they now have an opportunity to be free from sin. On New Years we go to church and reflect on the goodness of God for that year.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 9:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I celebrate the winter solstice and the lengthening of the days. And I celebrate the christ consciousness--or the higher self--in myself. Knowing the origins of the Christmas and New Year's celebrations, I do not perpetuate the myth of the birth of an obscure Jewish mystic, since it is impossible to know when that occurred. No one was there to testify. I prefer the old-time traditions of Candlemas.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• On New Years eve we go to church to a singing that starts at 8:00 pm and goes on till 12 midnight, ending with prayer at midnight to bring in the new year.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 10:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• this is my first christmas w/ a child & im not 100% sure what we will be doing to show why we celebrate...we meaning my DH & I. not that it matters too much b/c she wont know/remember. but im sure when she gets older we will talk about the spirit of giving & goodwill towards all.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I am a Chjristian and I don't do anything any different than I do any other day of the year. Christmas is not really the anniversary of Christ's birth. Everything has been so comercialized so that Christmas has nothing to do with the birth of Christ. Everyday is an oppurtunity to give thanks to God for what He has done for us through Jesus Christ. Sure I give presents to my loved ones but it's not because of anything Jesus did for me. It's because I get caught up in the hype too. I believe that if I give those two days anything more than I normally do then I am somehow failing in my relationship with Christ. Everyday is a day for me to worship Him who has saved me.
    simpsonville

Answer by simpsonville at 1:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I don't believe in a higher power, but I think of these holidays as a time to celebrate and appreciate the time you have with your family. We have a ton of parties where we get together with different parts of our family. On New Year's Eve my sister and I take all the kids from our family and we stay in while others go out because we're kind of homebodies. On New Years Day we all go to a hotel and swim and eat all day.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 6, 2008