Take it or leave it?

Percentage wise, about how much advice do you actually take on parenting for you newborn? Especially from your or dh's parents?

MommaNay156

Asked by MommaNay156 at 10:43 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• on my first born as much as I could get unless it sounded totally stupid (rubbing peanut butter on dry skin.. gimmie a break). Now, next to none.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:45 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I took advice from my parents with a grain of salt. They raised their kids decades ago and so much has changed. Some of what they used for regular practices are now considered abuse.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 10:45 AM on May. 13, 2011

• On my first, as much as I could get... on my second... in one ear..out the other! lol..
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 10:47 AM on May. 13, 2011

• leave it, I have my way and they have theirs.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:47 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm willing to listen to most peoples advice, unless I absolutely know they're wrong, or it just sounds completely stupid or dangerous (like giving a baby alcohol when they're teething). Other than that, I'll give alot of things a try at least.....couldn't hurt lol
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 10:50 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I've had lots of experience with newborns and infants before my own, so I already knew how I was going to handle things.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:03 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Well all parenting advice you take with a grain of salt. It is up to you and your husband to decide how you want to raise your child. To avoid unnecessary "advice" from relatives just make sure you always have socks on the baby and always have a diaper bag equipped with everything you need. This will impress them and let them know that you are doing a good job. I have an over bearing brother and sister-in-law, they know "everything"... I know they have been there and done that, but their advice was more like demands... It actually bothered us enough to where we talked to them about it. That helped for a week and then it went back to how it always was... I think you just kind of go uhhuh and agree. lol Especially since their kids are wild children we really would rather not listen to their advice.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 11:09 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yeah, im on my first, and for my mom and dad, they tend to wait till i ask questions. My mother-inlaw though...well as much as i adore her, i wasnt about to put rice cereal in my baby's bottle at two weeks old. I dont care how well it helped her son sleep. >.> honestly she did raise my dh, which puts me into some questioning lol.

But really, some things make sense, others not. Its really up to you what you want to follow. Just remember, make them at least think you'll try, other wise you end up with them telling you how they are right, and their kids turned out fine and bla bla bla. I learned the hard way.
    Cherrycatt

Answer by Cherrycatt at 12:05 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I was very insecure about my first born and wore my mother out because he wouldn't stop crying for me, but as soon as I gave him to her, he would calm down. I believe that was the main piece of advice I took from anyone re:firstborn. "Holly, he has been in tune with your emotions for nine months. When you feel anxious holding him, he knows it and will get anxious himself and that's why he crys. ( I told her I thought he hated me at one point) Once I calmed down and got more relaxed, things went fine.

Best advice I've ever gotten, and the only piece I ever took.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I didn't take too much advice. My mom is really good about not offering up unsolicited advice so that has been nice, it makes me feel like she has confidence in my abilities. My MIL has had some advice to give that just kind of made me nod and smile because I knew I wasn't going to take it, but it comes from a place of love and she means well, things were just done differently 30+ years ago when she had babies. I did a lot of reading before I had my dd, and even as she was going thru her first year or so, so I felt confident in my choices and the things I had decided I wanted to do and not do. That made me feel secure enough to take the good advice and ignore the bad and know that I had at least a pretty good idea of what I was doing and why I was doing it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:13 PM on May. 13, 2011