Don't know what todo.should I just stay home? or go visit my parents or brothes or sister?

ery time I go to visit my husband's family and by family I mean parents and aunts and uncles don't treat me with respect. they ignor me , and when I go over there to talk to them , they either give me short answers like yes ,no, or shrug their shoulders. or even pretend that they don't hear me talking to them. When I told my husband how I felt he said that he had tsalked to them all and they told him that they don't do that. I said well they do. I know he believes me. But he acts like he doesn't think that they act that way. I think that he just doesn't want to get involved. But I'm thinking of telling him to either stand by me, or he can just go visit his family all by himself..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Would this be a l long trip like a vacation or just a day visit? I don't think I'd go for any length of time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:57 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Honestly I know you probably don't want to, but you are going to have to confront someone in his family about the situation. Your husband isn't going to, and avoiding everyone will just make them treat you worse when you do see them. Ask someone, maybe a sister or his mother, why it seems like they treat you as an outsider. They are essentially family now, and families have to fight it out sometimes to get along in the end.
    siera_lyn

Answer by siera_lyn at 10:59 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I'd let him go alone. Don't put yourself in situations you know you're going to be disappointed in. At this point, it isn't about respect to them. It's gonna take a whole lot of ass-kissing, and if you didn't do anything against them, you owe them nothing. Besides, I think staying home will prove to Dh you're not joking, and that you'll stand up for yourself. When he shows up without you, and they start talking about it, he'll figure it out, feel like an ass, and stick up for you.

But you gotta stand up for yourself first. doesnt sound like he gets it yet.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:01 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I agree. Some men just want to bury thier head in the sand to avoid drama, but that's not fair to you. If he doesn't back you up than who will! If he won't back you up than don't go. I personally wouldn't let my children around them either. I wouldn't want them seeing people treat me that way and thier father not backing me up. Just not the way I want to raise my boys.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 12:58 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I am not sure
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't confront anyone and I wouldn't make it a big deal where its interfering in my marriage. Its obvious that there's some type of problem that they have with you. If your unsure why, then let them stew in thier own mess and you live your life happily. When he goes over to visit them, then you go and visit your family. There's no reason why you should be around anyone who treats you the way they do...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:46 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Next time I think I'd let him go visit them alone.
    debnich501960

Answer by debnich501960 at 5:03 PM on May. 13, 2011