I may sound like an idiot but.....

Do I have to be 100% effaced before being able to dilate? I know I may sound like an idiot but I have no idea what "effacing" is and my doc said I was 75% today. She tried explaining it to me but I am just not getting it. Any one want to try?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Effacing is the thinning of the cervix. You can thin and dilate at different rates. I'm currently 2cm and 50% effaced, which means that the cervix is opened to 2cm and thinned to half of it's normal pregnancy height.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I know they say "thining of the cervix" but I am just not getting it.
    Anonymous

• It is the thinning and shortening of the cervix. It is preparing for birth. You can be dilated along with being "effaced".

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• ur crevix is disapearing going bye bye
    Anonymous

• Imagine a big glob of mucus and snotty crap right at your cervix. That big glob is what's keeping your uterus protected from your vagina and any outside elements. Effacing is when the mucus and snotty crap comes out so that your baby can come out =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• To make it really simple, think of your cervix looking like a doughnut lol. The more you efface the thiner it gets, if your doughnut started out at one inch think, and you are 75% effaced, your doughnut is now only 1/4 inch thick.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• http://www.babiesonline.com/articles/pregnancy/effacement.asp
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• What's the difference in dilating then?
    Anonymous

• Okay, imagine a balloon. The opening of the balloon, the part where you would put your mouth to inflate, that would be the cervix. If you pull that wider it stretches open, but the rubber also thins out as you stretch it. Does that make sense?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• To continue my rather lame analogy, dilating is the doughnut hole getting bigger.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008