Financial Frustration with Hubby

I have a husband who is obsessed with conspiracy theories and now it's affecting with what we do with our money. I'm so fed up with it that I don't know what to do. We have two kids and I want to start saving. He believes that our paper money will not exist soon enough. I'm trying to get our debts paid off and he is buying guns and ammo and getting emergency bags packed, as if we are going to hide in the woods to live one day. I fear he is becoming a little crazy. :( He has a history of schizophrenia in his family. I've thought about buying a safe and just slip money in there and let it grow that way. I don't know what to do? Any suggestions. He won't see a shrink either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would have a family intervention and tell them what is going on.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:05 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yikes, I'm sure sorry, dear. Find any way to save that you can. Maybe save for a year, put the money in a 5-10 yr CD at the bank and let it make interest.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:05 AM on May. 13, 2011

• He's not alone, surprisingly. I know a lot of people who are doing that, they are getting ready for the so called "NWO". It doesn't help that it's all over the internet, and it's being talked about everywhere you go. I was in Burger King the other day and some older men were talking about the same thing. If you really want to save, I say get a safe and put a little away at a time...only you know whether you are safe with your husband.... but he sounds like most of the ex military and conspiracy theorists in our area...at least I know if they are right, i'll be okay cause there are a few family members that are getting prepared the same way. LOL, still gives me a giggle though.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:09 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Thanks for the comments. It's just hard to be patient with all of this. He wants my support, but I'm not exactly on the same page as him. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and think of my kids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:29 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't put money in a safe, but I would start my own bank account, and keep it secret from him. I have kept things from my husband like that. He is a Good Time Charlie with the money! LOL! I have my own savings account, there's no way he can access it, and any info I get I shred or keep locked in the glovebox of the car. BTW, it's not a lot. I also keep house money, about $200 in case of hurricane or dire financial straits, that he doesn't know about. This is in addition to our emergency fund, which he is aware of.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 12:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO IS LOCK AWAY THOSE GUNS AND AMMO.THEN YOU SIT HIM DOWN AND TELL HIM HE WILL EITHER GO SEE A SHRINK SO YOU ALL CAN GET A HANDLE ON THIS SICKNESS IF THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING OR YOU WILL PACK UP YOUR KIDS AND LEAVE BECAUSE YOU ARE FEELING UNSAFE AND IS WORRYING ABOUT HIM AND HIS MENTAL HEALTH.AND MAEN WAHT YOU SAY AND SAY EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 11:21 AM on May. 15, 2011