Recital costumes

Last year my dd's dance recital costume was extremely hoochie. I really hated letting her wear it for the recital. This year's costume is so much better which is a good thing because I wouldn't have let her participate otherwise.

Does anyone else ever have a problem with recital costumes?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:06 AM on May. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i daughter is in dance, she is 3 years old.. granted it is JUST dance and it is JUST a costume.. I BOUGHT it, i will NOT allow my child look like a hoochie even it is just for 2 minutes! the minute she has a dance routine that is hoochie like she is done with dance.. I DONT CARE what people think she is my daughter and she wont be allowed to dance like a hoochie!

This is my daughters costume this year.

3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:24 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Nope my daughter has competed for two years, it's just a dance costume. People make more out of them then what they should I feel personally. My daughter has to have bootie shorts for this year's recital, don't see a big deal :)

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:09 AM on May. 13, 2011

• There's a time and a place for everything. This is dress-up. As long as she understands that it's not ok to wear something like that out and about, I don't see the harm, personally.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:14 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I agree with DragonRider my DD is 5 she knows the difference between dance costume and street clothes. She never asked to wear make up just out and about she knows it is for stage. OP how old is your DD?
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:18 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I guess I just feel that she is a little girl and does not need to be showing all kinds of skin to be cute. There are tons of cute costumes out there without having them dress like little hookers. When the costume has the sides cut out and it is low enough to be cut down the the navel.. I take issue with that.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Can you post a picture of the costume?
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:19 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I think it depends on the age of the girls. When my now teen age girls were very young the dance studio they were at was all about shake your booty belly showing not at all age appropriate. After their first recital we left that studio for a formal ballet studio we are much happier there. I also have ice skating daughters and some of the music and costumes that parents and coaches come up with are totally inappropriate for the skaters age.
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 11:20 AM on May. 13, 2011

• lapcounter...I don't have a picture of last years costume. It was a leotard with the sides cut out and they were supposed to wear fishnet stockings. ( a few parents objected to this)

This years is much better. It is two tank tops (one black and white checked and the other sparkly pink) baggy black hip hop pants and black converse. with a black hat and black gloves. It is actually cute.

Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on May. 13, 2011

• oh. And she is 8
    Shaken1976

• i don't agree with any of the padgent and girls dressing up to look older. they're litle girls let them stay that way.
    my dd never took dance classes.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:05 PM on May. 13, 2011