"If hell is real, how can God be loving?"

Here's a 2 minute audio clip answering the question ... I wondered what your thoughts are on it.

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 11:12 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Tough love?
    I believe we all learn our lessons in life and that in the end we find peace. I don't like the thought of hell.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:29 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't believe there is a hell. I've never really understood why some people seem to think one MUST believe in hell to be a Christian; I do not believe that a belief in hell is a requirement to Christianity, or is really that important. I prefer to focus on other aspects of my faith and spiritual growth.

MmeCS

Answer by MmeCS at 12:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• @MmeCS ... If you are a Christian, and you don't believe in hell, then what do you believe that you are saved from in terms of salvation?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 12:19 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm not watching the clip, lol, but I have come to the conclusion that the idea of hell is completely contradictory to the character and nature of God. I also have done in depths studies looking at the context of where hell is mentioned in the bible, and I don't believe it was ever intended to refer to a literal place of eternal damnation.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:23 PM on May. 13, 2011

• but I have come to the conclusion that the idea of hell is completely contradictory to the character and nature of God.

Which is why I suggested listening to the clip ... it address the character and nature of God.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 1:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I didn't click the link because I don't have sound. Basically, I believe God loved us enough to give us a choice.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:17 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Popzaroo ... the clip basically says that God is both loving and just, and that a God who is ONLY loving would not create a hell, but since God is also just, there is a hell.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 2:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• There is no god, just, loving or otherwise, ergo there is no hell. 

If there were a hell, though, where would it be?  And do you think that Satan is really "down there", presiding over a flaming kingdom of torture?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:46 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I believe God is loving and just. Hell was NEVER created for man in the first place but man who choose to not want God or His love and deny it... then why would God let you be in Heaven if you don't want it in the first place?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:19 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Great clip Eilish I can buy the premise.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:35 AM on May. 14, 2011