Is it common for a toddler to act like an infant when you bring your newborn home?

How do you deal with that?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 11:32 AM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is common. When my kids did that, I would baby them, but over do it to make it funny. They always soaked it up and loved that few minutes of attention just on them. Then I would also make sure to include them in helping care for the baby. I always made sure to point out to them how lucky that they were big brothers and all the fun things that big brothers can do that babies can't.

Good luck Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:44 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, is their way of coping with any issues, jealousy/insecurity they might have because of the new baby.

booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:34 AM on May. 13, 2011

• my oldest was 21 months when we brought his sister home.. never had any jealously issues, then my daughter was 18 months when we brought her baby brother home and never had any problems with jeaously either.. especially them acting like a baby.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:37 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My 8 year old twins acted like toddlers when I adopted my 7 month old son so yes I think it's normal for all kids to regress a bit when they feel displaced.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 1:34 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure what to say to my friend about her son regressing. She plays along with him but I didn't know if i should encourage him or not.
    Alexias30

Comment by Alexias30 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Anon, I don't have kids but there are kids in my life. I have friends and family members with kids. I ask questions to get insight for myself and my friends. My best friends' son is 2 and has been acting like an infant since his new sister came home 2 weeks ago. When I babysit, I don't know whether to ignore the behavior, tell him that his a big boy or what. That's why I asked and I will continue to ask questions.

Anyone should be able to ask questions.
    Alexias30

Comment by Alexias30 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I thought you didn't have kids???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 13, 2011