Your Baby Can Read. Opinions?

I've recently purchased the Your Baby Can Read package. I'm really excited about it, especially since I love to read. I think it's a great idea and learning phonics is such a great experience. I was browsing the internet and found complaints on different websites from parents claiming they were robbed and it doesn't work. I couldn't help but feel like the majority of these parents were the one's who plop their kid in front of the tv and don't interact much with them. As with anything, I would think something like this takes time and patience and alot of repetition. I know i'm not going to see results within a week or two. I'm just curious how other mothers feel about it and if they feel like I do when listening to complaints. Any thoughts?

DJsMommy610

Asked by DJsMommy610 at 11:37 AM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's a complete and total waste of money.

1 - reading requires a set of cognitive milestones to be met and connections to be made. Some children simply aren't ready to read 'early.' No system in the world is going to help an infant or toddler who has not hit those milestones.

2- Early reading is not indicative to later academic success. In fact, the majority of early readers level off with their 'average' peers by 3rd grade. This means pushing reading at an earlier than usual age risks frustrating parents and child, burning out child, etc for no long term gain.

3. Simply reading to your child every day, exposing him to books, playing (free) and fun games involving letter identification and sounds will yield the same results without the price tag.

I have two early readers (2 1/2 and 3 yrs respectively) who continue to be above grade level. WE did nothing but read to them and play with them. It clicked when they were ready.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:03 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I think that if you look at the American Academy of Pediatrics, and Dr. Sears and others, they do not recommend a lot of screen time, but face to face interactions with infants. I would return it and get a library card, which you can do for free! Read books to your baby, with them on your lap, and let them see your face. You can point out the words while you read, and let them look at the pictures. Or get a Nook, whatever, same thing. Read to them. Words are great, but you need to put them in a context. I mean, it's stupid to think that if your baby can say "elephant" and point to a picture of an elephant it's going to help them later in life. There's so much more to intellectual development than that! Having said that, try it and let us know how it works since you already have it.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:45 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Not only is it BS, there is a class action lawsuit against it's claims.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:51 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Just read to your kid! It's fun and it's free and most importantly, it's not just the memorization parlor trick that Your Baby Can Read is attempting to pull off.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:47 AM on May. 13, 2011

• complete BS.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:38 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Waste of money.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:39 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I've read articles about it and other parents' surveys and heard it is a complete waste of money.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:40 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Complete waste of money! Ds was 8 months we hen we started it, he would understand what they were saying, but by a year old, he didn't want to sit and watch the movies.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:41 AM on May. 13, 2011

• BS
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:42 AM on May. 13, 2011

• You can basically do everything it has at home for free. You can use flash cards and items at home and have the same results.
    siera_lyn

Answer by siera_lyn at 11:43 AM on May. 13, 2011