Concerned..Staph infection??

For a few months now my 15 month old son has gotten these bumps around his genital area. They do not look like diaper rash. Started out as pimple looking and now they look like they are underneath the skin. I am concerned because he acts like he doesn't feel well however, the rash itself doesn't seem to bother him. He hasn't been eating well for a couple of months and the rash is spreading up to his stomach and back. His doctor says it may be a viral infection or a staph infection. Has anyone else experienced this with their child? Is it serious? I am using antifungal cream in case it's fungal and he is also on antibiotics.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know about a year ago my son had balanitis. It caused his penis to become inflamed and swollen. It looked like an ant bite. His fever was so high that we had to take him to ER. Treatment was antibiotics. You may want to get a 2nd opinion. especially if it has been going on for that long and is now spreading. Good Luck!

babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 11:59 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Staph infection is very serious and if the doctor thought it could be that, I would hope they would be taking every neccessary step to fight it.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 12:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I've had issues with this with my 2 yr old daughter a few times. I was prescribed a gel to put under her nose to kill bacteria that lives there that causes staph infections. Very wierd I know but it works, I haven't had any issues in a few months now.
    siera_lyn

Answer by siera_lyn at 12:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That sounds like the same "rash" that my son had last year. Our doctor couldn't decide whether it was staph or fungal and gave us 3 meds to give and it cleared up in less than a week. We never knew which one helped. I would suggest that if the anti-fungal cream is not working, you should bring him back and have the Dr. take another look at it.
    JosHaileyMom

Answer by JosHaileyMom at 6:07 PM on May. 13, 2011