Do you apologize to your child ??

My son is 3-1/2 and last night the whining and crying just got on my LAST Nerve.... I lost it and yelled at the top of my lungs and got upset while driving...
He crys more the "average' still and always has- he has anxiety ( family genetics ) and he is sensitive in nature anyway but some days I just can't take it.. - I think I scared him and I HATE when I get like that with him... :(
I looked at him and told him I was so sorry for yelling and would work on being a better Mommy..but I feel like crap today still!!!!!!!

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:50 AM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes. Even grown ups make mistakes and need to apologies. I think it teaches our kids that no one is perfect and shows that we as parents can follow our own rules. 'If you make a mistake you say you are sorry'. It may not have been the best choice to yell, though I have been there, but it showed great character that you were able to take responsibility for your mistake. Good job! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:52 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes I apologize to my kids when I am wrong or do something wrong.

Answer by gemgem at 11:52 AM on May. 13, 2011

• You are not a bad mommy and I don't think we would be human if we didn't "freak" every now and then....I'm sure it's not on a regular basis, and it could be healthy for kids to learn that Moms aren't perfect, we do cry, we feel, we get angry, and those are all NORMAL human actions........it's how you deal with them that matters. Relax Mom....apologizing is good......don't beat yourself up.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:53 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes but explain to him what happened and why you yelled and maybe it will help you feel better and help him understand better!! No your are a good mom and bad mom would not have even cared enought to ask this question!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:55 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes. If I respond in a way that I know I shouldn't have, I apologize. I will say "I'm sorry I yelled. I was frustrated that you weren't listening to me and I acted in a way that I'd rather not have." I think it's important to let our kids know that sometimes even mom makes a mistake -- and then to model the behavior we wish them to follow when they slip up. I can't tell my kids they need to own their mistakes and just apologize instead of defend if I don't do the same.

Hugs to you. I think we've all been where you were!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:54 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I've apologized to my kids before. It's healthy to be able to admit when you were wrong. I have trouble with patience and my kids are autistic. My daughter would have really bad anxiety when she was younger (2-4 years) and I would have to give myself some "time outs". Once she was able to verbally tell you what she is feeling than just screaming and crying, it got much easier. She's 6 now and is much better. Plus there are tantrums that I do not allow, so she knows that she can't get what she want by making a scene in public. Those times you have to "nip it in the bud" early. Otherwise kids will know how to manipulate you into doing what they want and will not respect you.
    Liz0286

Answer by Liz0286 at 12:03 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, I apologize to my DD if I'm wrong, but I also explain why I ended up snapping, in hopes that she'll understand better.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have a yr. old that pushes my buttons and every once and a while I catch myself screaming at him too. My mother screemed at me a lot. But you know what I love my mother. Sometimes you loose your cool. Apologizeing is the first step to a good road to recovery. It will teach your child that sometimes grownups will make mistakes and that is ok. It will also teach them that sometimes you are wrong and they are right and when that happens they can come to you and talk to you about it without a fued.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 12:10 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I apologize to her if I lose my temper and yell at her...I see nothing wrong with apologizing to your children if you hurt thier feelings or you feel that you are in the wrong
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:12 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, when I know I am in the wrong I do and it shows my children that apologizing is the right thing to do when you are wrong.
    donna1028

Answer by donna1028 at 12:15 PM on May. 13, 2011