Is marriage a dying institution?

Is it necessary to be married to the father of your child?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:07 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• i definitely do not think it is a "dying" institution, but i do not think it's anywhere near as sacred as it used to be...now divorce is all too common, just as much as living with a man before marriage, and now even having children before marriage. i don't think that you HAVE to be married to the father of your child, but i think if you've been together for years, have a child together, etc, than why not get married? my SO and i live together with our dd, and we're not married but it's something we talk a lot about for the future. it's more of a time/money thing right now. plus i divorced years ago when i was 21, so am more hesitant to jump into it.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Ha, marriage is big business! I don't see it as a dying institution. It just isn't for everyone, though it is for me.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:41 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Not necessary, and the institution is still alive and well.

Answer by older at 12:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It's not necessary of course...but I think it's nice =) I love being married and I wouldnt have it any other way =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No, and no.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No you dont need to be. Honestly for many young couples it might not be worth getting married. My dd and her dh didnt get married because financially (tax wise) they were better off not married. They finally did get married though once they were more financially stable.

Answer by gemgem at 12:14 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Not "necessary" but IMO ideal. I think its more important that the mother and father are working together to raise the child in the best possible way. If thats being done without marriage so be it. But if you've made a child together I hope that you love him and he loves you. So I see no reason why not to marry.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:14 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Not "necessary" at all. And no i don't think marriage is a dying institution but I do think people throw in the towel too quickly when things go wrong in their relationship. My husband and I have been through more then a lot of people I guarentee but we worked out our problems and decided that our marriage is a life time commitment and no matter what gets thrown our way we can work through it. I also think when people are in their 20's (like I am) they get married for the wrong reasons like getting pregnant or to prove to themselves or their parents that they're now adults. (I did neither)
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 12:22 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Since the divorce rate in this country is well over 50%, I'm going to say yes. It's unfortunate, but marriage is quickly becoming as out dated as the printing press. I don't however see it as a loss of values, but more of a change of values. It's ok in today's society not to get married. In many cases I think it's better for the children to have 2 good homes instead of one where the parents are allways screaming at each other. It's also helpful to be able to ostracize a destructive parent. In the past people stayed in these abusive situations and in turn bred children that grow up to abuse. Perhaps in this new social climate we can naturally select to breed this out? In the next 50 years I predict we will see alot less abusive people.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 12:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Im most likely wrong.
    I am FOR people doing what they feel is best, You dont have to get married.
    I didnt think it was important & didnt think it would change me & DH much but it did. We take our relationship much more serious. Just something "clicked" that i didnt expect. We always said we wouldnt be big on wearing wedding bands since we are not into jewelery.. But guess what 99% of the time we have them on now.
    I think a lil of it has to do with back in the day you got married. sex out of marriage was HUGE. and having a kid out wedlock was bad.. Now days not so much.. Also some has to do with faith & it seems alot of people are not sticking to the rules of their faith as much when it comes to marriage.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:29 PM on May. 13, 2011