Schools being dumbed down?...

I believe alot is wrong with our school system & most kids are not getting the education they should..
But..
I was thinking -- Our schools being "Dumbed Down" doesnt make since. When I was in elementary (90s) we started to read in the 1st-2nd grade. Now they are learning it in Kindergarten. Same thing with math, they are moving along much faster.

So, how is that dumbing down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• You do have a point with that -- which was a primary reason we chose a private school with extremely high scores and standards.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thanks to NCLB teachers are forced to teach to a damn test in the public school classroom. THAT'S why so many are being left behind, and "dumbed down" imo. TEST TESTS TESTS TESTS TESTS. Not to mention the lack of funsind and resources, and the fact that teachers are having to play MOM AND DAD more and more for kids seem to have more and more behavior issues, which takes AWAY from learning. It's a SHAME.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe they are being "dumbed-down." My child starts pre-k this fall and they are supposed to start KNOWING/recognizing/and sounding out letters and numbers and shapes. We also have a 20-book reading list to complete over the summer. Could be because it's private school?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:27 PM on May. 13, 2011

• When you read the news or studies or watch documentaries they talk about the US education system is falling behind other nations. Our drop out rate is ridiculous! And most our kids cant read past an 8th grade level.

It has been said our state testings the wording over time has been simplified so students can understand better... & an A+ on a paper, 20 years ago, may have been only a C+...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Every single time I read a post here about the American public school system, it makes me glad of my decision to send my children to private school, and I'm so thankful that we are able to afford it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:41 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My daughter is learning spanish and to read in Pre-K and we are army, and they teach spanish all the way to 12th grade mandatory,they are reading 3rd grade books by 1st...etc. People ar just neding something to bitch about...lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:54 PM on May. 13, 2011

• FUNDING***** not funsind :)
    Anonymous

• I don't know that they are being dumbed down that much. The public school system is lacking adequate funding which means larger class sizes which means that children may or may not get the individualized attention that they need. I am also a firm believer that children get out of school what they put into it. Parents going to yell at the teacher because poor little Johnny is being misunderstood. She shouldn't have graded his math test that harshly, etc. make children feel as if they do not have to try because they never have to deal with the consequence of not studying properly. Also, parents are the best partners in a child's education. If parents are involved, then children have a much higher success rate. I believe we will see a huge difference in this country if we start making the education of our children a priority.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 4:28 PM on May. 13, 2011