If we're ALL made in "his" image...

...Doesn't that make god a hermaphrodite?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:25 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like to think of God or Goddess as androgynous, personally
    Anonymous

• Its kind of pointless to argue about this because we will not all agree...no matter what is said on either side unless someone really wants to learn they are not going to listen to what the other side is saying.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:29 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That is true Brandi300, but I do like to know what peoples opinions are....it really does make me "think" outside of my belief system.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 12:31 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Image does not mean exact copy-

God does not have a gender but much like a boats are referred to as she even though they are genderless God is referred to as He although He is genderless- IMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:37 PM on May. 13, 2011

• soyousay- makes sense. However, I'm curious then, how if god is genderless, he could be in the slightest bit offended by human sexuality.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:39 PM on May. 13, 2011

• IMO "God" is not male or female, does not have a body etc., "God" spirit/energy. So, to me "in his image" means that we have spirits too, and/or have the energy of God in us.

MmeCS

Answer by MmeCS at 12:52 PM on May. 13, 2011

• IMO I don't see God as having a gender. But "made in His image", to me, means more that we are all born with the innate ability to cultivate characteristics that reflect His very character and nature. Instilled in our very conscience, in what makes us human (humane), we are able to model ourselves after the very things that make up His Being - love, compassion, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:36 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Oh, and you know already I don't believe God is offended by human sexuality - I believe He wants for us to have meaningful, healthy relationships with our partners, whatever our orientations may be.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:37 PM on May. 13, 2011

• However, I'm curious then, how if god is genderless, he could be in the slightest bit offended by human sexuality.

You will have to ask someone that thinks He does- I do not believe that- He probably does not like for us to use sex as a weapon (oh is that a song) like rape, abuse or as a tool for power (ie- to use someone) I don't believe there is such thing as casual sex because it always seems like someone wants more than just sex but is willing to try to use casual sex as an "in" but thats another story and I have heard people claim it to be true- I just have never seen it work that way ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:09 PM on May. 13, 2011

• soyousay- you know who this was directed at :) smartass. lol I always love your replies though. BG too... Why is it so hard for "the others' to understand that I don't hate christians?
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 2:12 PM on May. 13, 2011