Garden of Eden question/observation

In Genesis it talks of how God made Adam and Eve in his image, they would forever reside in the Garden of Eden as long as the obeyed his rules..... Eve eats fruit, feeds hubby fruit, gets kicked out before they can eat from the tree of immortality.... My question is, where does it say that God created the people who were already on earth. God created Adam and Eve in his image, but what of the people that were not "of his image" ?

I ask because it talks of Abel being cast out of the boundaries of the Garden and he found a tribe and a wife....where did those people come from??? Is it possible that there was already people on earth, and that is why the bible speaks of 'other gods"? Someone can only be jealous if there is something to be jealous of.

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 12:30 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• popcornI'm interested to hear what the answer to this will be.

purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:39 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I know!!!! Thise are the questions I have always wanted an answer for when I was a kid but never get one that made any sense. I really think....after growing up and going to college....etc.....that the Bible is one long long novel and the Garden Of Eden was just one chapter. ALL fiction.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

• They evolved from monkeys.

J/k... Happy Friday!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:12 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't believe the Garden narrative to be literal history. I believe it is meant to introduce us into the Divine context and offer an attempt to explain certain things that at that time weren't yet explained. Not all of the questions, like where the other people came from, are answered, because it is meant to address certain issues, if that makes sense....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Posted this in another question, but that OP had a hissy and closed it:

We Are The Others

It brings up 2 big points. One, that the others were already there before Eden, the product of those "other gods". Two, that God of Abraham lied to Adam and Eve, claiming the apple fatal, when the truth is what the serpent said, that they would become godlike. If that part's a lie, what else of it is, too, including the where's and why's of their offspring?

Ultimately, the OT preaches xenophobia. It was strictly enforced. For centuries, Judaism insisted on total isolation from anyone of any other faith, belief, or nationality. Outsiders were unclean. It had major impact on the region, trade, economics and the exchange of knowledge. (speaking not biblically, but historically) The story of the garden bolsters that xenophobia.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:30 PM on May. 13, 2011

• NotPanicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I have sat here and read the entire story, copy and pasted it to friends and added it as a favorite. I am a Pagan and I have never had anything put like that. Goddess bless you dearheart!
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 1:54 PM on May. 13, 2011

• How funny--I was just talking about this yesterday with a friend. It was Cain that took a wife, as Abel had been killed by his brother, Cain. Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters (5:4). So Cain must have married one of his sisters. That was necessary in the beginning. Later, because the results of the fall increased and interfamily marriages multiplied the biological weaknesses in the children, it became forbidden. (Lev 18:6,9)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:10 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I apologize for my typo...should have caught it but I didn't.
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• – collapse
    ALL of mankind descended from Adam and Eve. There are no human beings who are not created in God's image.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:16 PM on May. 13, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Cain married his sister ... and I would add that it happened before laws against incest were made.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:17 PM on May. 13, 2011