My mom inlaw is taking care of my son and occasionally smokes outside and leave the baby inside ....

We have a patio out and I think sometimes she smokes out there and leave the baby inside. I know how it's like when you smoke it smells all over, if she smokes outside and later come in and talk to baby can that harm the baby? Sometime I came home I can smell it from garbage even tho she put air fresher all over.

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 12:37 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah, it gets into clothes and if she's around the baby or holds the baby it will breath it in!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:38 PM on May. 13, 2011

• tell her to wear a "smoking jacket" when she's outside, leave that jacket outside and only wear it out there when she smokes, then take it off when she comes in. before touching the baby she should wash her hands and rinse out her mouth with mouthwash if she plans on kissing the baby or putting her face near the baby's face. this will probably not kill all the toxins of the smoke but it will definitely help reduce them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes, it's called like 3rd hand smoke or something, cuz it stays all in your clothes and on your breath, and it can affect the baby. It's best to wear a jacket or some kind of pullover when smoking, that way you can remove it when you get in the house. And also, it'd be good to wash your hands too, since they smell just like a cigarette for a LONG time after you smoke...I haven't had a cigarette in like an hour, and I just smelled my fingers and they still smell like smoke....so yeah, I'd definately say something to her about it, and explain to her the risks involved with it
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 3:29 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Have her change shirts before handling the baby
    SparkleAndCandy

Answer by SparkleAndCandy at 10:41 PM on May. 14, 2011