Body insecurities post pregnancy

Ive always had issues with self confidence and was just beginning to accept myself the way I was when low and behold i found I was pregnant. After having my DS 9 months ago I have been struggling again with my body. On top of old securities I can now add stretch marks, and flab to the list. Doesn't help when I call my dad to catch up (he lives in tx I live in va) and the only thing he's concerned about is if I'm excersize and how much weight I've lost. I've lost 35 of the 45 lbs from pregnancy but my father clearly states "well, that's just not enough" and he commends my DH for in his words "he's a great husband, who knew he'd still love u after having gotten so much.. bigger." Wtf? I know, I'm married n I have my own child yet I'm still afraid and hurt by my own father. Working on getting over this, but I'm having so much trouble, I work one job full time, another part time, and I can't do much more than 3 30 minute exercises in the morning and between jobs. Any tips, or advise? I eat maybe once a day.cause I just don't have time to eat either...

kpincince

Asked by kpincince at 12:38 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You need to eat more often. Eating frequently actually keeps your metabolism going all day so you keep burning calories. By eating once a day your body will actually burn calories at a slower rate. Eat four to five times a day and eat things high in protein and low in fat and carbs (cottage cheese, yogurt, turkey, salads, etc) and plenty of fruits and vegetables. I give you this advice because I know what it's like to want to get rid of the baby weight and to feel insecure about your body changes. That being said, you are worth just as much as you would be 10 pounds lighter or heavier. Clearly your father is contributing to your issues, and likely has been all your life. You need to set some boundaries, tell him no more talking about your weight, period. He is your father and should love you big or small, and your weight concerns should be yours alone. (Cont'd)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Hun, are going to diet and exercise do it for you and no one else, the benefits are outstanding and not just physical but emotional too.  Your dad I am sure does not mean to hurt you but help you. It is hard it is very hard, but if you put up a sensible plan in place and it can be done, but  you got to do it for you. 30 minutes of exercise every morning is great, if you are stuck then work on your eating habits to help loose weight, you can do this!

Answer by older at 12:44 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It's ok to worry about your child's weight if they are 50 pounds over and having health problems, but his concerns are not valid. We all want our parents approval and to please them, no matter how old we are, but sometimes we have to be grown up enough to say this is not healthy and needs to stop. Your father should not be making you feel like a failure. I hope your husband is not contributing to any of this either. As women, our bodies change when we bring a life into this world. Sometimes our bodies never quite go back, but there is more to life than being a size 2, and it sounds like you are doing very well and on the right track. So be proud of yourself for that and don't let someone else knock you off because of their own problems. You're doing great and you will get the rest of the way to your goal but it takes time with everything else that a new mom has going on. Have patience and faith.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• mine is the little pooch at my belly and stretch marks. No one should say anything, you gave birth to a baby, it's all part of the pregnancy process. Hang in there..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 6:22 PM on May. 14, 2011