Does taking Zoloft for anxiety pass through breastmilk is it harmful to the infant

pam12958

Asked by pam12958 at 12:42 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are many depression/anxiety meds that are safe for nursing moms, and Zoloft is on the top of the list.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• ALL antidepressants pass through BM, you should consult with your LC and physician to determine whether the risks outweigh the benefit. There are much better ways to deal with depression.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It is the safest antidepressent on the market, currently, for breastfeeding mamas. Weigh the pros and cons out with your doctor. I breastfeed and take Zoloft and it was the wisest choice for me and my family.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 12:44 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I agree with 1st poster. I had to take it for post partum and they did prozac first. I researched and found zoloft to be safer and more effective.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Zoloft is actually recommended.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yeah, Zoloft is actually one of the safer drugs you can take while breastfeeding....I actually am prescribed to it for depression and I've never had any problems
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 3:25 AM on May. 14, 2011

• To the Q'er- Know that it's brave and so great that you sought help. All medicines pass somewhat through breastmilk, but Zoloft is on the top of the 'safe' list. I had to take a few stronger meds and my son turned out a-okay :-) I'm praying for you!!!

Obbydobbie, I mean no disrespect, but as a mom who suffered from serious PPSD I would have been crushed by your "there are much better ways..." comment. Many women need medicine to overcome the hormone/chemical imbalances they face after giving birth. No one has the right to place guilt or disapproval.
    karesmile

Answer by karesmile at 3:48 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I took Zoloft for a lil,I was told it doesnt
    SparkleAndCandy

Answer by SparkleAndCandy at 10:39 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Zoloft is found in breastmilk in very small amounts. They have never been able to find it in the blood of the breastfed infants because the amount is so small. It is the antidepressant of choice for breastfeeding moms.

OobyDoobie: There may or may not be better ways for this person to deal with her depression. In some cases medication is the best choice.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:16 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Thank you all for your kind words and support.
    pam12958

Comment by pam12958 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on May. 15, 2011