So is cream of chicken soup ONLY for cooking with ?

I mean I know you do cook with it because I do cook and bake with it ( also with cream of mushroom soup) ... I also eat them as regular soups ( add milk and cook on the stovetop ) ... I just always figured everyone did both ( cook and eat regular ) ...

I babysit a little boy and his mom is on a new thing about asking what he eats everyday ... so i will going through the list : eggs, toast, and a cut up pear for breakfast... and then grilled cheese, an apple and cream of chicken soup for lunch ...

The mom about had a heart attack and acted like I fed her child poison ... it is a soup that he loved and finished the whole bowl ( just like my own kids did ) ... but she completely over reacted ( in my opinion) at him eating this... is that really that big of a deal ??

and it isnt even about it being healthy or not because I KNOW they live on fried foods and box chicken every night for dinner ... I think a low sodium soup would be better !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No way! With soup, there are NO RULES! Go wild wit ur soup!
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:47 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Growing up we only used it for cooking so when my hubby made me a bowl of it when I was sick, I was really confused. LOL!!! It tasted very yummy, though!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 12:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I've never eaten it as a soup, I've always cooked with it but it says it's a soup on the can - what's the big deal?

Answer by missanc at 12:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Until I was moved out on my own, I had never used cream of chicken soup to cook with, it was always made as soup. Now I use it for both.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 12:50 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Did you ask her why she freaked?
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:50 PM on May. 13, 2011

• She freaked because she said it was ONLy for cooking and you CANNOT eat it "plain"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:54 PM on May. 13, 2011

• hmmmm.... weird...
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I use it both ways all the time in fact i went to my cabinet and got a can to see what it said " serving instructions: mix one can of water or milk" stove: heat while stirring until simmering .... Microwave place contents into a microwave safe container cover and heat on high for 3 min or until hot. stir and SERVE. if wasnt meant to be eaten it would not be sold in stores as food
    mom2-6mineNhis

Answer by mom2-6mineNhis at 12:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Personally I don't care for the taste of canned soups so I make my own.But I have never heard it was only for cooking with.It is just a very versatile soup.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• How ridiculous...if she's that concerned about what her child is eating, she should supply his meals...eating cream of chicken or any of the cream soups will not kill you...if that were the case they wouldn't make it as a soup in the first place...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:08 PM on May. 13, 2011