I want to wean .... (need advise please)

... but he hates bottles.

I have a 10-month old and we are still nursing, but I'm becoming VERY exhausted with still having to nurse every hour and half to two hours. I've tried giving him sippy cups, but he hates them. He doesn't like milk of any kind unless it's mine (and no, I haven't given him cows milk yet). He will drink water, but considering that has no calories, I can't just let him have it in place of milk.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get him to wean? (Please spare me the attachment parenting idea that I nurse until he's two - this would be nice if I could get some dange sleep).

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 12:55 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ill be going through that in a few months. My son is 7 months. Im glad you asked, Id love to see advice too!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• First, know that you CAN teach him nursing manners, if that helps...especially once 12 mos hits, you can begin nursing less if you choose.

In any case, the best method of weaning, other then child led, is to replace one nursing session per week with formula (for babies over 12 mos, you can just drop one session per week)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:58 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Krysta nailed it with how to wean....

Be aware, weaning doesn't mean sleep. We moms are guaranteed broken sleep for the rest of our lives. **smile*

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Be aware, weaning doesn't mean sleep.

I've got two more, so I know that a full nights rest is a distant dream/memory, but they were never this bad with night wakings and they were willing to take a bottle (they also slept better when I gave them a bottle). This one though will wake just to use me as his paci - not even feed and refuses to suck on anything that appears to be a substitute for my/his nipple.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 1:09 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I guess that Mothering means constantly being patient, adapting, and honoring the little very dependent child that requires lots of nurturing.

If he won't take a bottle you can force him (say no nursing, no way) or use a sippy cup.
    Or have others spend more time with him so there is no option.
    ~but I encourage you to find ways to compromise-- to make it work if possible.

Whenever I think I have something nailed, baby changes her plans. Or she is nothing like her siblings to begin with.
    I really have to learn to Roll with it and find a way to make it work so she can get what she needs.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:19 PM on May. 13, 2011

• doulala ... the problem is that I can't function on the very little amount of sleep I am getting. It's less than what I was getting after he was born. If this was just waking 2 or 3 times at night, I wouldn't have a problem ... this is waking every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and he isn't even hungry most of those times.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 1:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• :-(
    HUGS!!

I do understand! BTDT (for years). It's very hard for sure.
    Getting help so you can rest and getting help with household stuff and with life is a priority in the meantime.

I have heard good things about How Weaning Happens, a book you might get asap...
    I will paste some helpful info~~
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:46 AM on May. 14, 2011

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:47 AM on May. 14, 2011