Is 3 too late

My bestfriend is just now potty training her son..He is 3 and has no diabilities and i was just wondering if there was some underlying issue behing him not being pottytrained...please give your honest opinions and advice if you have any

prdVirgobby

Asked by prdVirgobby at 12:56 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, there are lots of kids (especially boys) who aren't being potty trained until 3 these days.

Answer by missanc at 12:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• he may not have been ready yet, i have no idea when to start my ds and he'll be 2 in august, all kids are different, i started potty training my dd when she was 2 but she could communicate a whole lot better than my ds can, that being said, my son may be 2 and a half or 3 before we start, it just depends on the child
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• what are some signs that he may be ready??
    prdVirgobby

Comment by prdVirgobby (original poster) at 12:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I sure hope not. My DD wasn't potty trained until she was very close to 3.

Some kids just aren't ready or don't want to. He'll be trained in his own time. If your friend has any concerns, she should talk to her son's pediatrician.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My older boys were potty trained by 18 months old....My youngest he was 2. The doctor had a fit with my youngest boy because she said he would do it himself when he was ready, I said really, cause I have other children and they would have never done it on there own. I chose to not listen to her and potty train them myself.... I was raised by my grandparents so I have a lot of the "older" outlook on things....I personally hate changing a diaper of a three year old, so I did not want my kids to be in diapers at that age...but that is my personal opinion and i could care less what others do as long as it works for them.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Lots of moms wait until later so it will go faster. You can google 'toilet training readiness' and see useful info
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 1:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I've been told by Doctors that even 4 or later, especually for a boys, is not unusual.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 1:19 PM on May. 13, 2011

• some children do take longer. Both of mine (boy and girl) were completely potty trained by 18 months. No pull-ups or anything after even at night. after hearing from others i do believe i was blessed lol
    Kats86

Answer by Kats86 at 2:36 PM on May. 13, 2011

• If hes running around naked a lot its a good sign.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 12:16 AM on May. 14, 2011

• My son was 3 1/2 before he started. I just waited until he was interested and wanted to do it himself because we were getting nowhere otherwise (I could take him to the bathroom every 15 mintues and he'd still ALWAYS go in his pants so we took a break until he was ready/confident he could do it. Once he made up his mind, he was 100% diaper/pull-up free (except at night...) from that day on with zero accidents.) It just depends on the child/parent and how they want to go about potty training. I honestly think that 3 and older is very normal for boys....
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 6:31 AM on May. 14, 2011