Newborn HATES tummy time

My 14 wk old ds HATES being on his tummy. He screams as soon as I turn him around on it. Once he starts getting upset he lifts his head and slams in straight down on the floor, which makes him scream more b/c he is hurting his little face.

Any advice????

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 1:01 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't get my 3 month old to enjoy tummy time really either....he will sit that way for a little while SOMETIMES, but most of the time he gets really mad and starts screaming at me lol but I've read that if they dont like it, just keep trying it, and eventually they'll start to like it....especially if you put a little mirror in front of him so he can look at himself or something of that nature that would entertain them while they're laying there....I dunno though, I'm still trying to figure this one out myself lol
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 3:21 AM on May. 14, 2011

• i do not know if you tried already lay him on your tummy he would still be on his tummy but he will think your playing
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 1:03 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Put him on the boppy pillow on his tummy. And stick around so he don't get hurt. When he gets bigger put him on his tummy on the floor anyways. He will throw his fit but it won't hurt him as bad when he is a little bigger.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 1:06 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Every child develops differently. I like Roxy's answer to try doing it on your tummy. I know my kids...both of them did NOT like tummy time either...until they were a little older. I think the head thing...is nothing to worry about. It is probably b/c his neck gets tired..and so his head falls down b/c it's heavy. Dont worry too much mama!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 1:06 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Do you provide him toys for him to play with as he's on his tummy? Or maybe you lying on your tummy in front of him facing him and maybe playing peek-a-boo? DD would lay on her tummy for hours if peek-a-boo was involved.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• We also use the bobby pillow for tummy time and put a few bright soft toys in front so DD can reach for them. This takes her focus off being on her tummy :) GL
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:09 PM on May. 13, 2011

• does he have any toys he likes in you case softer ones, start him out on his back see if he will reach for the toy in ur hand and little by little see if he will turn himself around to get to it... he might not like the feel of the hard floor... I got my youngest one a black n white fun tummy time pad for the floor she like it but only for a min. i ended up laying her on a firm but softer place like a couch or my bed and tummy time wasnt so bad then
    mom2-6mineNhis

Answer by mom2-6mineNhis at 1:10 PM on May. 13, 2011

• put him on the couch or bed or boppy so he's not going to bang his head. 14wks are still not too interest in toys yet, clap infront of him and buy some small music toys to lurk him. My son never like tummy time, now he's almost 6 months and he's fine sitting up and holds his head really well.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 7:37 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'd be more concerned over the lack of head control
    Anonymous

• Thank you, gals! I will keep putting him on me and try the boppie for tummy time!!!
    wendydays

Comment by wendydays (original poster) at 1:08 PM on May. 13, 2011