If you knew your addiction was reducing your life expectancy by half,would you continue doing this activity?

I'm trying to grasp the thought process behind my mom continuing to smoke even though the doctor told her that doing so would reduce the rest of her life by half. She is now 67. He told her if she quits,she could live with her COPD for another 10-15 years. 

A year ago she almost died. Her blood oxygen was 75 when the paramedics arrived. They were THIS close to intubating her. She had to have her lungs flushed for 2 days straight. She was unable to draw oxygen from the air she breathed in. Just because she's stabalized she thinks its ok to smoke again. She still requires oxygen when she leaves the house. She hasn't been doing her Albuterol treatments.

I can't get through to her,but how can I just accept her decision?!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:15 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• The reason some people who have been diagnosed with an incurable disease feels as if "I'm dying anyway, might as well die while enjoying what I like." Until they decide to let go of that mentality, there's nothing anyone (not even a doctor) can say to make them change their habit.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:41 PM on May. 13, 2011

• i know how you feel. my dad suffered a massive heart attack back in 2004 at the age of 57. he had to have a quadruple bypass. to this day he still smokes 2 packs a day and eats foods that are high in cholesterol. he made zero lifestyle changes.

my mom, also a lifelong smoker, turning 51 this year, has spots on her lungs, a heart infection, high blood pressure, chronic cough and angina. she hasn't made any lifestyle changes either.

i was following in their footsteps as a pack a day smoker for 9 years, when suddenly 3 weeks ago i decided to commit to quitting. truthfully, it wasn't that hard, because i wanted to. ive been trying to tell them they can live 10-15 years longer if they stopped right now, but they don't believe the damage is reversible.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:32 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My mom is only 53 and will not quit either -it goes beyond just an addition to the actual nicotine at this point. Its their outlet, their crutch and sadly, almost a part of who they are - I had to stop trying to make/help her quit - I am an ex smoker of 18 months so I will NEVER end up like this..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My mom still hasn't fully forgiven my grandmother who died 10 years ago. She finally quit when she was on the oxygen but that's because she was too drained to do anything herself and no one was going to help her smoke. I hope that you can find some peace in this situation, I am so so sorry that you're going through this and I wish I had some advice
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• You really cant. My fil is the same way. He was diagnosed last year with COPD and refuses to quit smoking. We have tried everything to try and convince him to quit, but he says he doesnt believe smoking matters since he is already sick.

Answer by gemgem at 1:22 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My MIL who is in a similar situation switched to patches. This way she still gets the nicotene but not the smoke.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:31 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thanks ladies

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:58 PM on May. 13, 2011