How is your grade K child doing w/reading?

I am curious. My ds is reading small words and can sound out larger ones.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 1:17 PM on May. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine is doing well on reading. The problem she has is with her handwriting. It is really messy. But on reading she is on 1st grade books.

Answer by gemgem at 1:20 PM on May. 13, 2011

• He is doing good! Great improvment since the year started.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I thought reading is usually taught in first grade and that kids are not ready and shouldn't be forced to learn to read before first grade? It was that way when I was an Education Major in college.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:24 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No they teach it now. They use Letterland for my dds school. She is reading those small books with sight words in them and has been since school started. Now she is onto other books. They expect them to know how to read the basics by 1st here.

Answer by gemgem at 1:28 PM on May. 13, 2011

• same here. My son's school has them reading the super kids program. I think reading in 1st grade is pretty standard.
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 1:33 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My daughter is just at the end of her kindergarten year and she is reading and sounding out small words. I'm proud of her cause when I was that age I don't think I was even beginning to read yet! It seems as if schools and teachers are starting to teach children stuff erlier now then they used to. I think that is good though cause I believe you learn quicker and easier as a small child!
    Mominstress

Answer by Mominstress at 10:19 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I have two kindergarteners and they are both doing pretty well- one better than the other. I think by the end of kindergarten they should at least be able to read simple sentences.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 9:39 AM on May. 16, 2011