Another silly question....

It's me again, the dilating and effacement questioner. I have one more question I need a little help understanding. My doc also said my baby is at a "station -1". I also of course have no idea what this means. Is it good? You ladies have been great! Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• it means the baby is moving down into your pelvis... this is good!
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• The stations are the position of the baby's head as it descends down your pelvis. Station 0 is the exit of the pelvis (not the cervix) each station prior to that is a negative and each station after is a positive. Here is a link to a good diagram:

http://www.doereport.com/enlargeexhibit.php?ID=8392
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• That's great! That means the baby is only one "station" away from the base of your pelvis, where they need to be to start coming out. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Does it take a while for babies to get to stations? Or does it just depend?
    Anonymous

• So I am 0 cm dilated, 75% effaced, and babies at -1 station...from what I understand we're moving along great...right?
    Anonymous

• Yes, the effacing and the station of your baby is an excellent start - you're moving right along!! I would recommend lots of walking....the pressure of the baby's head will keep encouraging your cervix to efface, and hopefully you'll start dilating soon too! Some women go into labor barely dilated at all, so you never know when "the real thing" could happen. Good luck! :)

P.S. As for the stations question, you're right, it just depends. It's common for the baby to descend a few weeks before labor in first pregnancies, but they often don't descend until labor has started in subsequent pregnancies.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008