No wonder our healthcare system is in such shambles! Costs like this are completely absurd!

The day before Easter, DH had to take me to the ER. We thought I was having a gall bladder attack, so at the ER, they ran all the basic tests to see, including a CT scan and Ultrasound. Today I got the statement from our insurance company, for ONE 12 hour visit to the ER-$12,000 YES, THAT IS THREE ZEROS! Twelve THOUSAND dollars for ONE ER visit! I'm in shock,and totally disgusted, especially since they never could definitively tell me what was wrong! No wonder our healthcare system is going to hell in a handbasket! Ok, sorry, no real question, just a vent. Vent's over.

cbk_mom3

Asked by cbk_mom3 at 1:54 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Health

• That doesn't seem right. I don't think that CT scans are so many thousands of dollars are they? US are a few hundred- right? Then bloodwork, basic ER cost- a thousand at most? I wonder where they got 12 thousand. :( I'm sorry it was so much - that would be a shock.

Answer by Bmat at 1:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• They are saying the ultrasound was $2,642.00,and the CT was $5,051.00. The sad part is, that's our country hospital,not even a private one! I can't even imagine if we'd have gone to the private one!
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That is way over kill!!! My dh had to have his taken out two years ago, and after insurance we oly had to pay a little over 1200$ and that is for the surgery!!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:02 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Do yourself a favor and ask the hospital to send you an itemized bill. You'd be surprised at how much they charge for mundane stuff (like 200 mg of ibuprofen can run $10 - that's one Advil tablet).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:06 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That's a good idea Dr. Donna. I'm going to call the business office Monday morning. I was so outraged when I got the bill, all I saw was red for awhile!
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Wow. I looked up CT scans and it does say up to $5000, depending on the type- brain for example. If you have to pay this out of pocket I hope that you can negotiate a price or payment with them.

Answer by Bmat at 2:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thankfully, we have good insurance, through DH's work. He's gonna go through the roof when he gets home and sees that bill. I may let him call the business office, let him loose on them.
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Your bill is in part so expensive because public hospitals have to pay for uninsured patients who don't/can't pay. They cannot refuse ER patients, so the money has to come from somewhere.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Wow- that's unreal. Sounds like the pulled those numbers out of their butts. I had to have my gallbladder removed after a severe infection, and I had 2 ER visits before I got it taken out. Those 2 visits, with ultrasounds and everything, as well as pain meds, did not total up to anywhere NEAR that much. Maybe they were giving me a discount because an intern practiced diagnosing gallbladder disease on me, not once but 5 times? lol I don't know.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:16 PM on May. 13, 2011

• agreed. but ask for the broken down bill from the visit, you'll see a IV $200, on top of the tests they ran and everything.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 5:57 PM on May. 13, 2011