Sweet 16

My son was invited to a classmate's sweet 16 and my son is giving her a card. How much money should we put in the envelope? It's being held at a firehouse. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• $25-50 is what I would include
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:57 PM on May. 13, 2011

• How about $10. That shouldn't break the bank and it isn't a skimpy gift. She should be more than happy with that amount.
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 1:58 PM on May. 13, 2011

• 50 bucks sounds good if you could afford it. If not then 30 will work!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I always do a minimum of $25.

Answer by gemgem at 1:59 PM on May. 13, 2011

• When giving gifts to that age group, we usually give $15-25. [That said we aren't parents to teenagers, we just have family members who are that age, so we could be completely wrong.]
    averyswifeliz

Answer by averyswifeliz at 2:01 PM on May. 13, 2011

• $25 is the min we give because that way they can spend it on a new shirt, or Itunes, or whatever. Anything less than that does not buy much if anything at all. Think about things you want or spend on yourself. If it is something that is $20 with tax $25 barely covers it.
    Anonymous

• I wish all of the PPs were my friends' parents when I was turning 16, lol. My sweet 16 was in the apartment my mom and I lived in above a beauty salon. I played my radio really loud and only one friend showed up. We drank soda and ate snack cakes and chips all night long while watching a 20in TV. It was an awesome night!

I wouldn't know what would be appropriate. If I give cards I don't usually stick money in there. I might buy a gift to go with a card or buy a gift card, and the amount really depends on what I can afford to give at the time. My DDs are still real little, and DD1's only been invited to a few birthday parties for children in her age range. I let her pick out a random gift under $10.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 4:20 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'd say about $15 or $20, but that's just me. If he wants to give more, he can pitch in more.
    Better a gift card than money though in my opinion.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 5:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• $10-25. Wouldn't do more than that.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• $20-25 should be plenty unless they are really close friends.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:46 PM on May. 13, 2011