Coffee and pregnancy

Ok, a little background (please dont bash) I used to keep the messiest house ever!! I know that is horrible and my kids deserved better! Well it really hit me a few months back just how bad it was so I tried really hard to change. My house is now clean, it isn't spotless but everything is put away, I never get behind on laundry or dishes, everything is always wiped ect. I am VERY proud of the changes I have made and it has made a huge impact on the stress level in my house. There is no fighting between my husband and I, or the kids anymore.

Back to my question...coffee has really been the thing that gets me up and going and gives me the energy to get everything done. Well we are planning baby #3 and I really dont want to go back to how I was so....can I drink coffee while pregnant and if so how much? I usually only drink 1 cup but I load it with sugar, creamer and milk because I hate the taste!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes you can. My Doctors told me everything in moderation was fine. Obviously you cannot drink a pot of coffee or anything, but that is bad for anyone pregnant or not. You can have coffee though every day. I used to drink maybe 1-2 cups. I add milk to mine though and my husband always says I take a little coffee with my milk lol.

Answer by gemgem at 2:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Well, I don't think coffee can harm the baby, I was drinking every day strong espresso with lots of milk and my 2 babies are absolutely fine and healthy, as long as you don't drink gallons of coffee, you and the baby will be allright. We need that little caffeine in our lives to get us going, don't feel bad about it. Alcohol and cigarettes are much worse!
    KatDy

Answer by KatDy at 2:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I have a caffeine habit too (mine is pepsi) and I couldn't give it up. I allow myself one can of pepsi a day. According to what I have read 1 or 2 glasses of caffeine is safe when you're pregnant. So have one or 2 cups of coffee and clean away! No harm done.
    averyswifeliz

Answer by averyswifeliz at 2:27 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Like gemgem said, everything in moderation. I am a coffee addict, and 9 weeks pregnant. I wasn't prepared to quit cold turkey. But I was told by the nurse at the Ob's office that 1 or 2 cups a day is just fine.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 2:30 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't drink coffee, but I do drink diet pepsi and that has caffeine in it. I was told that if your body is used to getting certain amounts of caffeine, it's perfectly fine to continue on having reduced amounts. I was told to stay under 100 mgs of caffeine per day, and a can or two of diet pop fits into that with some to spare. Coffee would work the same way
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 2:46 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yes studies have shown that it is okay to have caffeine while pregnant, they also say that 6 oz. per day should be your limit. I think that one cup of coffee is fine. You drink it like my fiance does. With my first pregnancy I ate a lot of candy and I did not have any problems... I don;t see why the sugar would affect anything except for make you hyper. Maybe try splenda and low fat creamer to avoid too many extra calories.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 4:12 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Most drs suggest only 1 or 2 servings of caffeine per day so you should be good my mom always tells me sh drank way more coffee than that and were just fine lol. But one cup shouldint hurt!
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 7:57 PM on May. 13, 2011