Why are people so judgmental about spelling/punctuation?

I have allot to say but I"m afraid to because people don't listen they just talk about my bad spelling and lack of punctuation. I was home-schooled till 9th grade and my mom tought me nothing, I tought myself how to read, spell and all the punctuation I know. What I hate it that I'm not stupid I was just neglected as a kid I still know allot and have allot of street smarts so why can people not get past spelling and punctuation?

MomaMegan

Asked by MomaMegan at 2:16 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• welcome to cafemom

Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:17 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Awh - You make a valid point. But it still sucks to read poor spelling and run-on paragraphs. Well done at teaching yourself though!
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It bothers me when people don't use correct spelling. Puncuation bothers me to a point. But I don't ever point it out. Sometimes if it is really hard to understand; I will just move onto another post. Other times I will just respond to the question.

But if it bothers you then you can use the full editor when you post questions and answers. It should be right above the box where you are typing.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 2:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• They probobly lack perspective on 'real'' issues. Why do you want to know thier opinion anyway? They've got yo be jerks to correct someones spelling that's asking for genuine help on a real problem.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:20 PM on May. 13, 2011

• It bothers me some times. I really dont mind punctuation because I dont use it mostly because Im lazy and on a message board. Spelling if its super super bad doesnt so much bother me as much as it makes me wonder about the person posting. I know that is bad or wrong and we all make some mistakes and believe I have been bashed for it myself, but bad bad bad grammar and language makes me think the person is uneducated.

Answer by gemgem at 2:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My punctuation and grammar suck.. thank gosh for auto spell check and firefox!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:23 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Spelling and punctuation don't bother me unless they hinder communication. Chat speak means I have to translate almost every word and is very tedious.

Answer by Bmat at 2:25 PM on May. 13, 2011

• People pick on punctuation and spelling because it's easy to find fault with that, especially when the person makes a legitimate point that you can't argue with! If you can't beat their argument, insult their spelling!!! Just don't pay them any attention... Bullies point at the faults of others because they hope no one will see their faults. Congrats on educating yourself, btw. It takes a lot of hard work and determination to learn to read, especially when you've got no guidance.

clapping

CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 2:26 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I am not sure
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:21 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Well one way to start is using the things that are available like spell check. Microsoft programs have grammar checks, if you are worried about grammar and spelling use these programs. It makes things easier to understand when spelling and grammar are correct or at least legible. I hate when  you start trying to read a post and you have to spend ten minutes trying to figure out what they are actually trying to say.

michcous

Answer by michcous at 3:38 PM on May. 13, 2011