Any1 feel this way about gov asst programs and stuff....

A bit bout me: I grew up in poverty and need a bit of help now but I am pulling my own weight. I don't want to be a 2nd or raise a 3rd generation in poverty so....I hate how they treat you like you are an idiot. Yes they can provide some useful tools to get a job (help with clothing, computer and other office equiptment use, bus tickets) but what I am talkng about is how they have these "training" classes and all they are basically remedial classes. How is that empowering someone? What I thought was going to be a good thing at Goodwill wasn't really...you had to come to these classes where they taught you how to come to work on time, how to fill out an application, and junk like that. I am like wow I am not stupid I know how to fill out a form, I have worked plenty of years so I know what is expected of me at a job, how to ask if I don't know what is expected at a job, and I sure as hell know how to get there on time. There is no way to skip ahead or anything like that for classes that are not useful for you. I thought the program actually gave you a job placements or internships. They say they help but I feel it is really pushing you down so far you don't even know how to look up. I understand for people who have had a life in poverty, drugs, jail/prision, foster care would need these common sense things but for a person that is smart enough and qualified enough to work at Goodwill or any other place it is insulting when they talk to me like I don't know what is going on.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 2:28 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• My husband works for the government and he is a graduate from an Ivy League college. He still has to take the same classes every year. It is the system. He does not feel diminished because of the class. You should not either.
    Anonymous

• as far as the getting to work on time I think they're expecting people to rely on public transportation.... so IE take an earlier bus

and the BULK of the participants very well might be morons.

Never fear taking the classes, though.... you never know what will happen. My husband was briefly out of work in 2010 and took a demeaning class for applying at the US census. They deemed him king of the morons based on his superior test scores and he landed a cushy $17 an hour boss job with no knocking on doors required. And that superviser position although temporary landed him a permanent job after the census ended. Be patient, keep your head up
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:35 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I know it's tough, but don't think of it that way. In college, for the first two years we had to sit through these classes called university studies courses. They were the absolute worst, boring things ever. I couldn't wait to get to some normal classes. Just relax and go with the flow. Everyone has to start on the bottom and work their way up, think of it that way.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:24 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I SORRY TO INFORM YOU LADIES,BUT NOT EVERY ONE THAT HAS DRUG PROBLEMS ARE IN YOUALL WORDS [MORONS] I KNOW SOME VREY SMART PEOPLE THAT FINISH SCHOOL,WENT TO TOP NOTCH GRADUATE SCHOOLS,THAT HAVE DEGREEDS,BACHL,MASTERS THAT END UP EXTREM DRINKERS AND DRUG USERS.I MYSELF CAME FROM PROVERTY,LOW INCOME HOUSING FOODSTAMPS.I ALSO HAD TO TAKE THOSE SAME CLASSES,SOUND LIKE YOU WANT EVERYTHING FAST SORRY THAT'S NOT LIFE IS .IF IT GO AS EASY AS YOU WANT IT TO YOU WILL MISS UOT ON WHAT GOD HAS INSTORE FOR YOU.SO GO WITH THE FLOW ,RIDE THE WAVES UNTIL GOD SAY IT'S YOUR TIME TO SIT ON THE SUNNY BEACHES.GOOD LUCK
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 11:02 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I disagree. At times who doesnt want somethng fast. I want college to be over with but got another year...this year. I don't want to take classes that are beneath me. I have wor experience do not need a class to tell me the importance of coming to work on time. I already now that dumb basic junk. I was taught that in high school. The class will have mostly women with criminal records so they need the class since they do not have experience doing a real job. I know upper class ppl with drugs...whoopty dooo. I did not take the class cause I am not sitting through common sense things. I see hoodlums out on the street all day smoking weed and trying to get laid...yes they need classes like that. I'm in college, paying bills, and raising a kid. I my time needs to be used better. I don;t want to waste time with something stupid cause it brings me down and worthless.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 11:49 AM on May. 15, 2011