Lost my mucus plug, and mild cramps. How soon till labor??

I'm 38 wks, 2 days, and lost my mucus plug Wednesday evening at 9pm (today's Friday). When I lost it, there was some brown/pinkish on my underwear and then I looked in the toilet and their was a glob that looked like the pictures I've seen. Since then, I've had quite a bit of white discharge which I'm assuming is more of the plug? I've also had mild cramping, less fetal movement, and today I feel as if my hips are expanding or tightening. I went to applebees last night and ate something spicy and afterwards I thought I had 2 contractions, 30 min apart, but then I didn't have any more. How soon do you think regular contractions will start up??? And what can I do to encourage them?! Thanks!!

amandaplz49

Asked by amandaplz49 at 2:32 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Could be soon and could be another few weeks. There is really no telling.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:37 PM on May. 13, 2011

• The mucus plug and cramps, unfortunately, can begin minutes or weeks before labor.

Now, to encourage... there are lots of answers but my favorite are sex and exercise. If nothing else, it's your last sex for a while and the exercise takes your mind off the uncertainty. I always hated that part!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Like the pp said there is no way to tell really, it could be a few hours or it could be days. Good luck though and congrats on the new little one !!
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Yep they are right! With my oldest, I lost my mucus plug 1 week before he was born with the youngest it was 3 days, don't remember losing it with my daughter so it really varies
    MKSmom09

Answer by MKSmom09 at 2:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• The mucus plug regenerates itself so, there is no telling. With my son, he was born 21 hours after I lost a mucus plug and mild "cramps" started. I was 39w5d.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• How exciting! Im jealous it could be anywhere from a few days to a week you should prob keep in contact with your dr like alot cause this could happen super fast and you deliver at home or you also might need a little help gettin he or she out of there. Good luvk and congrats mommy!
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 7:54 PM on May. 13, 2011