Since curiosity implies ignorance...

and we ALLLL know how bad ignorance is. Shouldn't we all just stop asking questions so that we can be 'Willfully Ignorant'?

* on a side note, do you view asking the opinions of other people to be an indicator that you simply do not comprehend something, or that you do not comprehend their POV?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 2:38 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• can of worms

zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't agree that curosity implies complete ignorance. Yes to a point it does, but if you are exploring something you don't know about by curiosity then it is a good thing. Expanding your knowledge is always good!
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 2:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I believe ignorance is bliss. Didn't you ever notice how really happy dumb people are? Maybe we should take a cue from them!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No I view it as a sharing of information and gaining of information.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't think curiosity implies ignorance, on the contrary, curiosity wants every information out there, there is nothing wrong with expanding horizons.

Answer by older at 2:43 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Curiosity is the cure for ignorance.

People ask questions for a variety of reasons. Sometimes to stir trouble, sometimes to gain knowledge, sometimes to gain validation, sometimes to better understand, sometimes just to figure out what the heck the other is talking about.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Your post made me remember a quote I read several years back, "Better to be ignorant for a moment than a fool for life" So with that thought. I say if you have questions Cafe Mommas have answers- right, wrong, silly take it for what there worth and choose for yourself what makes sense for or what you wish to have faith in. I think seeing others POV keeps one from being narrow minded and uneducated not that you have to accept their thoughts but to understand them makes one more well rounded and empathetic.

SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 3:36 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Who said "Curiosity implies ignorance"??? Did someone actually say that?

Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:37 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Did someone actually say that?

Yes, in another question a little while ago

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• But, if not for curiosity, the world would be without most of the inventions we all depend on to make our lives as bearable as they are. We'd have no electricity, phone, cars, most medicines, etc, were it not for the curiosity of the inventors, who indulged their curiosities, to the point of great inventions. At least that's how I see it.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:58 PM on May. 13, 2011