Son will be home from school ... how to explain his bike was stolen?

my 4 1/2 year old was the one who discovered it and was here when the police stopped by for photos and the make/model info. She also went with daddy to the pawn shop and scrap metal yard leaving our info there. So although she had sadness she got to "fight back" and be involved. My son is going to lose his mind, I am literally afraid to tell him. It's only been a month since the training wheels came off and also 2 weeks ago the police pulled him over and gave him a free ice cream ticket for wearing his helmet. He is such a good boy... how do I not break his heart?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:44 PM on May. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe I'm missing something but a new bike for a child is like $80 at k-mart and they have lay away... let him pick a new one... Turn the bad into a fun new thing. Let him track the payments until he can bring it home. I know he will be upset but there are ways to 'fix' it.
    Anonymous

• Ahhh.. that stinks.. :( Garage sale season.. !!!
    I'm so sorry -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Tell him that you will take him to Walmart tonight for a new one if you can! Awwww..... that really stinks, I feel so bad for the little guy. Buy him a big pad lock & chain too! :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2011

• that does Suck. I ran over DS bike not to long ago and had to go buy him a new one... that sucked to by the way. lol. Anyway he was sad that his old one was gone but super excited to go find a new one and pick it himself. I think Toys R Us does layaway for bikes now to!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:50 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Tell him the truth and tell him you will get him another one when you can.....

Answer by older at 2:55 PM on May. 13, 2011

• That stinks. My daughter's bike was stolen when she was 9, and honestly she took it better than I did. I was SO furious that someone had taken her bike that she was so proud of. Someone came to the school and cut several bike chains and stole the kids bikes. She's almost 15, and I'm still mad about this. I like the lay-a-way ideas. i hope you are surprised and your son takes this better than you expect.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:00 PM on May. 13, 2011

• of COURSE we'll replace it. but not today! the police, pawn shops, and scrap yard are all on high alert for it. and it's been like 10 hours. I want to give them a little time to work 1st, in case they're recovered. But at least for today and tomorrow he'll be bike-less. If there's no news by Sunday I might consider new ones then.... but I'd be crazy to go right out and replace them immediately.... also we don't know yet what our insurance deductible is if they'll be covered on that or not. State Farm might not call me til Monday, who knows.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 3:10 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Aw, as others have said just be truthful. Tell him that everyone is helping him to look for it and if it isn't found he will get a new one?
    Also, keep a sharp eye out on Craigs List. My friend's expensive bike that he used to get around during college was swollen and he found it three days later on CL and the cops arrested the guy who stole it. Even if it does't have a photo if it sounds like your bike call and act like an interested party.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:12 PM on May. 13, 2011

• stolen lol
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:13 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Just tell him. It's a good life lesson for him.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:21 PM on May. 13, 2011