How is this helpful???

My family and I are living in a week-week Inn right now, Got evicted a month ago from a home with to high rent and no way out of the contract... Any way I went and applied for Food Stamps to help us out once we were evicted so I could save to get a less expensive apt... My interview finally came and they asked me how much I had in savings. I stupidly told the truth and said I have about 1,000 in savings so we could try to get into an apt instead of this Hotel. I was DENIED until my savings is spent. So now I have to reapply and either lie(which I won't do) or spend the money and never have any savings to ever get out of here...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on May. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• take the money out of savings and store it at home, now you have no savings acct. its not a savings, its already spent on a roof over your kids head.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 2:48 PM on May. 13, 2011

• they can't make you prove you spent it.........so do as girlwithanikon says.............
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:56 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't know where you live but here they CAN NOT hold your resources against you. The amount you would get should be based on your income not your resources......You should call and speak with a supervisor just to be sure. I was just reading about it and it seem that the use of resources are a "core" regulation NOT to be used in determination(meaning that all states have to follow it)

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 3:18 PM on May. 13, 2011

• They can actually hold your resources against you. I don't entirely agree with it- though I do see the point.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:15 PM on May. 13, 2011

• take it out of the bank secure it with you in a lock box or something......then wait 30days and reapply....saving all gone and you need the help.....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:12 PM on May. 14, 2011

• It may not help you immediately, but I highly recommend Financial Peace University. My husband and I attended in 2009 and it has made all the difference in our lives. It is a Christian based program so there are scripture quotations, but the advise is simple and easy to implement. www.daveramsey.com/fpu
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 4:28 PM on May. 14, 2011

• WHY DON'T YOU TRY FOR EMERCENCY HOUSING THE SYSTEM IS SO SCREW UP IT'S JUST A SHAME.THEY WOULD WHETHER GIVE IT TO ADDTICS THAN TO GIVE TO HONEST PEOPLE
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 10:43 AM on May. 15, 2011